Chapter Fifteen

{Huge shoutout to my dear Turquoise Scribe for helping me out a TON with this chapter and making sense of all my jumbled thoughts! You're the best ^_^}

"No." Nolan said firmly. "I'm not about to walk into a meeting full of people who are out for themselves. They can do whatever they want, but I'm not going to be a part of it."

"We have to." Toby replied. "We need to know what's going on...or what's going to happen. Besides, we have information on Egor. You've seen him, Nolan, and we can't just take our leave of this operation now."

As much as he hated to admit it, Toby was right.

"Plus, we might be able to influence their decisions." Grace reasoned. "I mean, look at this place." She gestured towards the hospital lobby that was congested with refugees. "People are scared. I trust the government just as much as the next person, and I don't believe they're going to do what's best for everyone. But maybe we can help make things better."

Nolan sighed. "Okay, fine." He pinched the bridge of his nose. Why did they have to make everything sound so logical? "What else did Howard say?"

"He's going to Austria to meet with the UN leaders. They're going to discuss what to do about the EMP situation and they want us to be a part of it. Howard's arranged for us to fly over there as soon as we're ready."

Secretly, Nolan wondered if Howard had an ounce of regret about bombing Kavala, but he decided not to dwell on it for too long. "Well, I'm ready if you are. Did the nurse get you fixed up?"

Toby glanced down at his abdomen. "Oh yeah. She was...forceful."

"I'm ready." Grace said.

Nolan met the eyes of both of them. "Alright then. Let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nolan was sitting on a plane, in a row all by himself when Howard called.

He almost didn't answer it.

Toby and Grace were seated behind him and he was the one to get booted to another row. He eyed the cell phone in his hand warily before pressing accept

"Hello?"

"Nolan."

"Well, if it isn't the biggest idiot on this side of eastern Europe. Or the rest of the seven continents for that matter."

A nervous laugh crackled through the other end. "Before we get too hasty, let me explain."

"Explain what?" Nolan spat, a surge of unexpected anger coursing through him. "You killed innocent people on a rash decision. You risked your agent's lives when you knew they were on the ground. You didn't give anyone else but Egor a second thought. You murdered a city to get to a single man you don't even know if you killed. Let me tell you right now, Howard, that you are very lucky I'm not with you on the other end of the phone right now."

"There's no need to make threats, Mr. Clay. We're trying to get all of this sorted out."

"And how many lives have to be taken before you actually get it "sorted"?"

Howard gave a sigh. "Nolan, this is exactly why I called. You three are coming to this meeting because you have information—not an opinion. Do I make myself clear?"

Nolan could envision punching Howard in the face. It would feel extremely satisfying. "Sure. I understand completely. You're going to represent the free states of America by oppressing people with a voice. Really, it makes sense for someone like you. Hear me when I tell you that I won't be silenced on this issue. You needlessly killed people; I've done that before in my life, so I can't blame you. But I will do whatever it takes to stop that from happening again. Do I make myself clear?"