Chapter Two

I checked the time off of my phone. 12:00am.

I thought out a more thorough list of things I need before I leave. I have to admit, I feel a little guilty for leaving everyone behind. And I know I will miss my friends... Especially-

"Who the heck is texting me this late?" I muttered to myself, looking at the phone.

It was Nyla... The closest of all my friends. I should tell her but.. She would either want to come with me or stop me. Not like she would be able to find me.

Nyla- hiiii

Me- hiya!!

Nyla- everything okay?? You haven't texted all today

Shit she noticed.

Me- yeah just tired...

Nyla- what's wrong??

How am I suppose to tell her? How would she take it??

Me- um.. I'm going to runaway...

Nyla- What!! Why!?!?

I had to think of a good answer. She is gonna kill me.

Me- I can't stay here.. I want to explore and not have to live in guilt and dread here in this house.. I don't want to leave you. It would be cool if you'd come with but I don't need you in more trouble than you already are.. But I'll be safe so don't worry.

Nyla- DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHERE YOURE GOING??

Me- wherever

Nyla- How can you tell me you're going to be safe if you don't even know where you're going!!

Me- idk..

Nyla- You can't leave!! Just come over here and spend a few nights

Me- can't do that.. I'm already packed and everything.

A few Seconds went by with no response.

Then my phone began buzzing in my hand, she was calling me. I sighed and picked it up, placing the phone up to my ear.

"Rainer don't leave.. Please.." I heard her sobbing on the other end.

Dammit why is she making this so hard.

She's run away many times.. But she always came back. I guess she's worried cause she knows me. She knows I wouldn't come back.

"Nyla I have too.. I'm going to die here if I don't. Now I trust you not to tell anyone. Please.."

Silence.

"Nyla?" I asked again.

I heard her crying on the other end. She had a tough past and I suddenly found myself as the selfish Rainer Brooks my parents thought me to be.

I fought my own tears and spoke up again.

"I'll be Manhattan before dark tomorrow"

"Rainer..." I could almost hear her tears.

"If you follow me.. There's no turning back.." I said, trying to stay strong and not break down as well.

"I'm sorry I- I can't.." I already knew she couldn't come. It was a big world and she knows it.

The difference: I wasn't scared.

"Okay Nyla.. I love you. Please don't tell anyone.."

"Okay.." She said in between sniffles.

"I'll come back to hang out.. Don't worry.." I laughed, trying to brighten the mood a bit.

"Mhmm.. Okay Rainer.." She said with much disbelief.

"Bye.. Love you.." I muttered, my heart chipping.

"Love you too.."

I hung up after that.

Now- I gotta find a way to Manhattan.