Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

"Clare wanted to come and see you, but I wouldn't let her. We had a terrible row about it."

"Perhaps if she had come, things might have turned out differently."

"You did have a girl friend, Alan, before you moved away and that upset her too."

"Oh, it was nothing. We only talked and kissed, there was nothing much to it."

"Is that what you wanted to tell me Alan, or is there something else?"

"There is something else...and this sounds really bad...I couldn't help it...it just happened."

Alan hesitated and Kathy looked at him intently, raising her eyebrows.

"You're not telling me that you're in love with my daughter are you Alan?"

Her remark was quick and to the point and Alan knew he couldn't stall any longer. He began to fidget in his seat.

"I always had feelings for Clare, although they were muddled at times, you know what it's like when you're growing up." He hesitated again.

"Go on, I'm listening." said Kathy.

Alan hung his head, feeling embarrassed.

"The day she fell down the stairs and cut her head, she cried bitter tears and it hit me like a bolt of lightning. I love her. I couldn't believe it myself. Do you think I'm wicked Kathy? What do you think of me?"

Kathy said nothing, but the look on her face said it all.

"There must be something wrong with me..." said Alan. He was regretting his decision to talk about this now. He began to blush.

"You didn't feel like this before when Hal was alive, did you?" asked Kathy.

"No, no...nothing like that ...I..." Alan didn't like the way the conversation was going and he wished the ground would open up and swallow him whole.

"I believe you Alan," said Kathy "Don't worry about it."

Alan sighed with relief. Kathy seemed to understand his predicament.

"I'm pretty sure Clare is lonely up there and I think she'll be home soon, but she loved Hal very deeply so it's going to take some time for her to get over it. Hal was a wonderful person and we all loved him. I'm afraid you'll have to be patient."

"What can I do?" Alan asked.

"She'll need a shoulder to cry on and if you have the time and patience, you can be that shoulder and then you just have to take it from there. That's all I can say, really."

So advice to follow and time and patience to expend, although Alan didn't think he had any patience, but he would do anything to win Clare over and at least he had Kathy on his side.

The next day in the office Alan was sitting at his computer when Angie popped her head around the door. "You all right Alan?" she asked.

"No, I'm not. Close the door a minute, will you." he replied, waving his hand at the door.

Angie closed the door.

"What is it?" she asked.

"I'm missing Clare, Angie. Missing her like mad, I think I'll go crazy!"

Angie, always quick to pick up on people's feelings, pulled a face.

"You don't mean?"

Alan lowered his voice, "Yes, I do mean. I'm in love with Clare, Angie. I love her, I really do. I know it's shocking and I didn't plan it at all, it just happened and she was only just widowed."

"You're telling me that you love her? Alan, I am shocked. She's still grieving for Hal. How can you possibly love her? It doesn't sound right, it sounds awful! You didn't feel like this before, did you, when Hal was alive?" Angie stormed, her black eyes flashing fire. Alan was sorry he'd said anything now, but he was only being honest.

"No, of course not. I'd never look at another man's wife. I don't believe in that sort of thing! It happened to me remember and it wasn't very enjoyable. I'm surprised you'd think that of me."

"I'm sorry, but it doesn't sound good. When did this happen?" Angie asked.

"The time she fell down the stairs and cut her head. Don't tell anyone will you Angie?"

Alan could tell Angie was horrified so he carried on, desperately trying to defend himself. "Don't forget, Angie, I've known Clare for a long time, we grew up together, there was always a close bond between us." Alan sighed heavily. "I had a chat with Clare's mother and she said it can take a couple of years to get over a bereavement, or longer, even."

"You've told Clare's mother?" Angie visibly softened. "Wow! Well, everyone's different and if you're there to support her it may not take so long." Angie went thoughtfully back to her work leaving Alan sighing at his desk. Well, it was out in the open now, no place to hide.

Alan and Angie were over the moon when they heard from Clare who asked if her job was still available. Bob was delighted to take Clare back and they were all looking forward to the Monday morning when she would return.