Chapter Forty Three

This is the first chapter of the Christmas Day episode.

On Christmas morning, Clare wore her raspberry red top with dark blue jeans. As she fixed ruby ear rings in her ears, she looked up at the sky from her back bedroom window. The sun had lost its earlier skirmish with grey clouds and had disappeared. The weather reflected her mood, but she was determined there would be no tears today.

When Alan arrived, Kathy and Sandra made a fuss of him. Alan grinned at them all and Clare came forward, kissing his cheek. 

"Hello, Alan, Happy Christmas." she said. He smelt spicy and looked smart, wearing a light grey sweater and jeans.

"Happy Christmas, Clare." he said, returning the kiss. "I've brought your presents."

"Thank you, that's very kind. We've left some presents under the tree to open after lunch." she replied. They went into the lounge and she placed his presents under the fibre optic tree.

Stephen stood up and shook Alan's hand, but as usual the shy Stephen said very little. Alan had met the family before at Kathy's re-union and was obviously pleased to see them again.

"Hello Laura, I've met you before haven't I?" said Alan, shaking her hand. "How are you?"

"I'm fine." she replied.

Laura was the image of Sandra and was tall for a six year old.

"I'm Sophie." said Sophie.

"Yes, I think you are." said Alan. "And you're four years old."

"Four and a half." said Sophie.

Everyone laughed.

"And last, but definitely not least," said Clare, "This is Toby!" She whisked the dark haired, black eyed, twenty month old up into her arms and kissed him, tickled his neck and made him chuckle.

"How do you like our two toads and a monkey?" asked Sandra.

"Oh, don't be mean, Sandra, they're lovely, aren't they Alan and they're very good despite what she says. They always behave for me." said Clare.

"Only because you spoil them rotten." said Sandra.

"Poor Alan, come and sit down." said Kathy leading him to a chair and pushing him into it.

"Take no notice, they do go on."

"Uncle Harry used to spoil us didn't he, mum?" said Laura.

"Yes darling, he did." said Sandra. An embarrassing silence fell upon the room.

"He spoiled all of us and we loved him." said Kathy. "We'll never forget him, will we Clare?"

"No mum, we won't." said Clare, feeling awkward. "Oh, what's the time? I'd better go and check on the turkey." She attempted to bury her feelings and hurried into the kitchen, closely followed by Sophie.

Dinner was coming along nicely and as Clare removed roast potatoes from the oven, Alan came and stood in the doorway.

"Do you need a hand?" he asked.

"No thanks, my little helper is in the dining room putting serviettes on the plates...they're gorgeous aren't they...the children I mean." She lifted golden potatoes from the baking tray and placed them into a dish.

"They're a lovely family."

"Actually, you can stir the gravy for me if you like." said Clare.

"I'll try, but I can't cook."

"Oh well, if the gravy's horrible, we'll blame you. It'll take the pressure off me." said Clare handing him a wooden spoon.   

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Chapters 43 - 46 contain the Christmas Day 

episode, where we learn more about

Alan and Clare.