Here comes a thought - Sophie

Authors Note:
This episode of Steven universe got to me so I decided to use the song as an inspiration for this one shot. If you want to hear it then it's right there in the media! Enjoy!
-Sophie

---

Flexibility

Natsu bit his lip as he watched the flame in the palm of his hand flicker around, even if there was no breeze. It calmed him down, and he needed it badly of course these past few months. Zeref, Larcade, Igneel. All of it was so hard to process, even after so much time had gone by.

"Do you want me to replace your bandages?" Lucy spoke up from beside him at the bar. Her voice was gentle and smooth... Calming. "They look dirty."

Natsu looked up, as if he could see his own forehead. "Oh... Yeah. I guess." He hummed, just simply speaking was enough to give him a headache.

During the war, he knocked his head really badly. In fact, it was a surprise nothing worse happened after getting the wound. He was just on the boundary of having a serious issue for the rest of his life. But... Lucy was there to save him at the last moment. But of course... Risking her life in the process.

His eyes drifted down to her right shoulder where a brand new fairy tail stood out. She lost her right arm from the elbow down so the pink mark she had in the beginning was long gone. But she thought little of it. She got a new one and put on a brave face. And it was still pink... Her favorite color.

Natsu reached over without saying and touched her arm, smiling gently. "I like the matching trope."

Lucy huffed and smacked his arm playfully, though she returned to taking off his bandages like he was as fragile as glass immediately after. "Don't tease me."

"What? I'm not teasing you." Natsu laughed, ignoring the pulsing in his brain. "It's cute. I like it. You just go on assuming things."

"I don't assume, Natsu. I know." She corrected, throwing the bandages to the side. "Anyway I—"

The blonde Mage froze as she stared at the new scar that ran across Natsu's forehead, from the right side of his hair line to the top of the left eyebrow, near the bridge of his nose. It had been a deep cut... Chiseling his skull only just slightly. If she hadn't interfered, he would've been dead... Or blinded... Or in even worse pain. But instead he got away with a new scar and a bump on his noggin.

"Lucy..." He said hesitantly, snapping her back into attention.

"I keep picturing it." She said, her mind drifting back to the scene of Zeref nearly slicing Natsu's head. "I know you tell me it's nothing to worry about but I can't help thinking about how I just barely made it on time... And how I lost my own arm... My guild mark... In the process."

Natsu watched her carefully, taking in every emotion he could find in her brown eyes; sadness, anger, pity, doubt, pain. So much pain.

"It's just a thought." He finally said after thinking over his words. "I constantly think the same thing but right now... Right now I'm so happy. I'm here with you. I get to be with happy. Gray is alive. Laxus is going to be guild master. Like... Whoa."

Lucy giggled, brushing her thumb over the scar for a moment, making Natsu's heart skip a beat. "Yeah... You're right. It's okay now."

Natsu nodded and leaned forward to kiss the top of her head, and then taking her right arm in his hands gently, kissing the bandages the covered her stub. "You have nothing to fear anymore. Yeah?" He smiled brightly for the first time in a long time. "I'm here."