Old, Wise, Evil Owl, intent on Revenge. You ruined my life.

hey guys :). i think thats its such a shame about the Haiti earthquake, i decided to write a story for the competition to help it. i don't care how many votes i get because just entering the competition will help the people in Haiti. so here it is... based on the theme 'lend a helping hand'...

----

Old, Wise, Evil Owl, intent on Revenge. You ruined my life.

I had always been taught to lend a helping hand. That's what Brownies did, right? The Brownie Law was to lend a helping hand once a day, or words to that effect. That's because Betty twisted, turned, and asked to be shown the elf, she looked in the water of a pond and there saw herself - so she was a Brownie, and so she and her brother helped their Mum. That was the Brownie legend. A story that said that little elfish creatures didn't help out, but it was down to the children - girls mainly, which was a sexist attitude, but Rainbows, Brownies, Guides and Rangers was only open to girls. Sorry, boys!

I promise that I shall do my best,

To love my God and serve my Queen and my country

To help other people

And to keep the Brownie Guide Law.

I always did my best, always. I'd do my best in exams, resulting in a degree in Health Physics, Maths and Chemistry. I love my God, which doesn't necessarily mean the Christian God or anything - my God was the Chocolate God. I loved that God more than anything, thanking him for all the chocolate in the world (except Heresy's chocolate, which I'm not particularly partial to) especially Galaxy and Dairy Milk (the fact it is getting taken over by Kraft's is a travesty). I hadn't done much to serve the Queen, but I suppose that by working I was helping her out. As for my country, I had never littered in my life and I loved to go on beach clean-ups. I regularly helped old people crossing the roads and little kids that had thrown their toys out the pram and started crying about it. I always did a good turn everyday.

I was a diehard Brownie. Always was, always would be.

But one tiny person - and I mean tiny person - changed my perspective on the whole Brownie legend. It wasn't true - that wasn't the true story of the beginning of Brownies. My whole life was meaningless when I realised that there was no 'wise' owl telling Betty to twist and turn. The Brownie was not herself. The Wise Owl tricked her into helping out.

It had started one boring day at work. It was the weekend, and so I didn't have any lectures so I was working at the local fancy, posh restaurant. You know the one I mean: they had large prices and tiny portions? Well, I was waiting in the kitchen for an order when I noticed a little red hat, poking out for under a shelf. Bending down, I looked into the little compartment and was shocked to find a little elfish creature crouched there, looking petrified. I stared at it, flabbergasted. This couldn't be... could it? A Brownie, right in front of me? No! No way!

"Are you a Brownie?" I asked cautiously, not wanting to sound like a muppet.

"Yes, and I know you. You're Amanda, a loud and proud member of the Girlguiding society. You preferred Brownies to any of the other Girlguiding sections, and you're still a proud member of the Brownies to this day, keeping the Brownie Promise everyday and never breaking the Brownie Guide law."

"How do you know this?" I asked, staring at this little creature in amazement.

"Duh, I'm a Brownie? We have magic!"

"Were you born a Brownie?" I asked, "How long have you been a Brownie? Why are you here? Do you clean up the kitchen here? Is being a Brownie all it's cracked up to be? Do you like chocolate brownies? Have you ever had a hash brownie? Can I become a proper little elfish Brownie? Is that possible? What's your name? Are you a girl Brownie? Are there guy Brownies? Tell me everything!"