Just a Dream

Can I just say thank you please? Every comment I've gotten has warmed my heart so much. *hugs* Also getting 2k reads literally blew my mind! Love you all!
*****************

"Are you okay?" Horace asks.

I look at him funny then realization hits.

"Did you know?"

He nods solemnly.

"I told you not to go but I knew I couldn't change the future." Horace says looking down.

I frown. "I wish you would've told me but I get it."

***********

One week

I learned that during the raid the village game Emma went a bit berserk from pent up emotions from Abe leaving and burned down three houses, the bar and the butcher shop. Of course, the next day the town was back to normal, I made Millard take me himself so I could check. Everything was fine and people were going about there day to day lives as if we had never even existed.

Enoch apologized for forcing me into playing after he was told of my panic attack. Horace repeatedly apologized but for no real cause because I had already forgiven him.

Tonight however I woke up to muffled crying and a shriek. It came from down the hall. I wonder who's crying? I tiptoe down the hall in my nightgown. Surprisingly everyone else seems to still be fast asleep. Had they not heard? I creep down the hall further and realize it's coming from Enoch and Horace's room.

I turn into my shadow form and press open the already slightly ajar door. Moonlight drifts through the curtains casting an ever so slight light across the room. In one bed, I notice Horace shaking beneath the covers, I assume he was the one who cried out. Enoch is in the other bed, glaring at me. His hair is up at odd angles and he looks grumpier than usual due to being woken up at an odd hour of the night.

"I know its you Liz. Feel free to comfort Mr crybaby." Enoch whispers harshly across the room. He dives back face first into his pillow. I let out my breath and concentrate on being myself once more. The whole changing to a shadow thing takes a lot of concentration.

I dash across the room and hear my feet patter lightly across the floorboards. "Horace!" I whisper yell. He doesn't reply but keeps sobbing softly. I reach out and start to shake him. He jumps and throws down the covers revealing his puffy eyes and tear stained face. His hair is much more askew than Enoch's had been.

"I-I apologize for waking you." He says softly, wiping away tears.

"No no it's fine. Are you okay? Bad dream?"

He nods.

"You wanna talk about it?"

He takes a deep breath. "I-I don't remember what it was about."

"That's okay." I whisper.

I wrap my arms around him in a hug. He is technically only a year younger than me but looks three years younger. He's like a brother to me.

He rests his head on my shoulder and we sit there peacefully. Eventually I hear his breathing even out and I assume he's fallen asleep.

"You awake?" I ask softly.

"I am." I hear Enoch's grumpy reply.

I ignore him, moving Horace so he's laying down. I pull up the sheets. I stroke his hair so it's less ruffled and turn to go.

"Your the only one who's ever been able to calm him when he's like that." Enoch whispers thoughtfully.

"I'll tuck you in too if ya like." I tell him jokingly.

He scoffs and turns around so he's facing the wall.

"Good night Doll Boy."

"Night Shadow Girl."