A Cat

One Year Later

"You're a dirty cheater Liz!" Enoch shouts.

We are playing hide and seek. I've chosen to hide as a shadow in the shadow of one of Fiona's hedges, the one shaped like Adam. I keep silent as he stomps past me, his face red with anger. Horace is trailing after him, being found previously.

"You're being a shadow and that's not fair!"

"Is that an I give?" I mock.

I watch as he whirls around seething. His fists are clenched. Horace backs away cautiously.

"NO!"

I chuckle quietly. Horace hears me and glances toward my hiding place. He sends me a quick smile before wiping it off his face and turning to Enoch.

"Well I'm going indoors. This is much too boring and you are not getting any closer to finding her." Horace sniffs before walking toward the house.

"Fine! I didn't need the crybaby anyways!" Enoch yells.

Horace flinches but keeps going.

"Asshat," I mutter.

"I heard that!" Enoch whirls toward me. His eyes scan the yard looking for any sign of a misplaced shadow.

"Hello Enoch!" I hear Millard's voice say cheerfully.

"Millard," he mutters disdainfully.

I roll out of my hiding place.

"Millie! By the way, Enoch you lost," I jump to my feet, corporializing.

"I did not! You cheated!" Enoch screeches.

"Hello Liz. What did she do that you qualify as cheating?" Millard asks.

"We were playing hide and seek and she became a shadow which is clearly unfair!" He whines.

I roll my eyes and Millard chuckles.

"Oh did she now?"

"You know what?! You can be a cheating bastard! See if I care!" And with that Enoch stomps his way into the how.

"I think I upset him," I murmur.

"You think?" Millard retorts.

"Oh well," I laugh, walking toward the house while inquiring about his whereabouts.

Once indoors we learn it's already suppertime so we wash up and head toward the dining room.

I sat in my chair next to Millard and Charlotte. Charlotte is mumbling something under her breath in an unknown language. She does this often and I believe it's because she likes the feel of the different tongues.

"Me gusta el pollo," I hear her say. I have no idea what it means so I ask her and she looks down at her lap blushing. I decide to drop the subject.

"Before we eat, I have Miss Evans has an announcement. We are going to let her speak and then we are going to respect the decision she has made." Miss Peregrine says.