16- Redemption Song

Start from the beginning

My future has always scared me shitless. I've taken to accepting everyday as it comes, and regardless of my plans and how beneficial they will be to my target audience, it scares me to think of what would happen if I fail. Deep down, I know that my fear of failure comes from the lifestyle I'm living.

What if I fail?

Maduka's POV~

Did I say something wrong?

I know she has no phone call, but I don't say anything when she literally disappears from the hut. For starters, I saw no back light when she showed me her phone. It's obvious she wants to get away from me for a while.

Picking Noel up, I move to the entrance of the hut and see her a few metres away, standing at the shoreline with the water swirling around her, a lone figure with her hair whipping around her head in the breeze.

What goes on in her mind? I wonder, trying to quell the desperation in me. I'm desperate to know more about her.

No, scratch that bull.

I'm desperate to know everything about her, starting from when I'd left her at the orphanage to when I saved her from the pool at Saheed's party.

Does she have any memories of me somewhere in the back of her mind?

I highly doubt it.

I watch her turn and walk back towards me in slow, leisurely steps. She's truly a masterpiece and the God who created her must have taken his time. He must have known what he wanted to create: A Chocolate Goddess.

Her hips sway without effort (and I'm sure without her knowledge, too) as she places one leg in front of the other. Her eyes are fixed on mine, and let me tell you, it feels like she is literally reaching out her hands to touch me.

Noel reaches out for her as she approaches, finally deciding that she likes Nwanyieze.

"Fwend," she says with a giggle.

Nwanyieze takes her into her arms and raises a brow at me. "Did you finally tell her to accept me?"

"I told her you're a very funny person and that did the trick. She likes funny people."

"Oh, thanks," she replies sarcastically.

"Always welcome."

"More yogurt," demands Prince from the mat.

"They're always hungry," I complain.

"They're growing, unlike you. You've reached your maximum height."

"Please, no more growing for me. My height is a topic at home. My brothers call me Goliath."

She laughs at this news and gently pushes me aside by placing a hand on my chest. The contact makes my heart skip a beat.

You need to dunk yourself in seawater, Maduka, I tell myself.

We all stroll along the shoreline, swim a bit, take horse rides for the third time (at Noel's insistence) and dance along with a small crowd to drum beats. I enjoy every moment of it, and wish I can bring Nwanyieze back here, and enjoy this alone with her.

While driving home, she goes silent again, staring out the window.

"What're you always thinking about?" I finally ask.

The children are fast asleep, bodies in the funny, boneless way that only children are capable of achieving. They are very exhausted and this makes me happy because it means a quiet night for me.