Chapter Three

My bunk smells like mold and mildew.

George and the teen; Alex, lead me to my room while Karen went to medical. My room is small, only enough room for the bunk bed that sits on the back wall. The bed looks as if it will collapse if any weight is put on it.

My bunk-mate is a little boy about five years old, and I was warned by George before entering the room that the boy was extremely sick and has been laying in bed all week, unable to work.

I lay on my bed on bottom bunk, and I listen to the raspy breaths of the boy. The mattress I lay on is super thin, with springs digging into my upper back that I decide to ignore. Better then nothing.

I can barely close my eyes for like three seconds before my door bursts opened revealing an angry looking John. I've notice he always looks angry.

"Get up miss mercer. You've got work to do" John says, marching to my bedside and grabbing my arm. I groan before giving in and getting up.

On my walk to wherever the hell I'm being taken, I get dirty looks from everyone in grey. Maybe it's because I'm so clean and they are so... dirty.

I'm escorted to a ladder that is about fifteen feet high, I look to John for a exclamation; "What the hell is this?" I ask. John snickers before looking down on me; "This is your job! Now get the fuck up there and clean the chimneys!"

This is ridiculous.

I'm lid on top of the roof of a stone row house,  gripping the roof with all my might, and with six chimneys to clean it seems like I'll never finish.

I lean into the last chimney as far as I can and scrub all four sides with the last bit of power I can muster up when a loud gunshots makes me drop the sponge and pull myself out of the chimney, standing up on the roof as fast as I can looking around.

In the distance by the back wall lay several people with pillow cases pulled over their heads, I see John standing behind them and one by one I watch as John blows each and everyone of their brains out and all over the ground.

A shiver spreads through my body as I loose my footing on the roof and start slipping.

I fall onto my back and slowly slide down the roof. I start panicking as my speed picks up and I near the edge of the roof. I toss myself around trying to grab something as my foot reaches the end of the roof and I kick off and brace myself for the impact of the cold, hard ground.

The few seconds I'm airborne feels like eternity and I think of all the people I have lost, and how I could possibly die right now. 

This could be the end of me.

Then I hit it. I collide with the grass with one big giant thud. I loose the ability to breathe as the fall completely knocked the wind out of me. I feel pain in my jaw and I open my eyes, gripping my jaw I look around as everything spins.