Chapter Twenty-seven

Start from the beginning

I waited for her to finish. Even though it helped explain a lot. It was no wonder my mother was such a mess. Her parents, my grandparents that I never met, must have been horrible judging by the green tinge on Lisa's face when she said 'her parents' told me plenty.

"So we never saw each other again until recently."

Now I didn't know what to say. Would I have been better off with Lisa as a mom? Nah, I didn't dwell on such things. You take what you've been given and make the best of it. That was another valuable lesson my father taught me. I would forever hold that in my heart. 

"So why don't you go on that double date? Seems to me like there's a little more to it."

Now she was reading me like a book.

I took a while to answer.

"Because the girl that I believe I love doesn't return the same feelings."

I kicked at nothing in particular in the air while looking at the ground. Just saying the words were cruel but they were true. 

"Well why don't you say something?"

My eye's widened at that and I stared at her.

"You know I thought you couldn't stand me. Now you are getting all nursey on me."

"I honestly couldn't," she replied honestly, "I've been with a guy a lot like you."

I didn't miss how her light brown eye's darted in my fathers direction for a fraction of a second.

"And let me guess," I said maybe too sarcastically, "He broke your heard."

Lisa was impervious.

She nodded just once.

"I really don't know what to say to that. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

"Everybody makes mistakes," she said.

I sighed.

"Just go on that date and see what happens. Maybe she planned on telling you today. Maybe she was scared of telling you now. This isn't great timing." she pointed out.

Again I sighed.

It seemed like if I stayed I'd hurt, if I went, I'd hurt.

"Doesn't matter which way I go does it?" I said more to myself than Lisa.

She pretty much understood what I meant, "He'll still be here when you get back. I've been around a lot of patients like this. A mother would hold as long as she could just so she could see her family again. Even some fathers would hang on until everyone went home after spending days at the hospital with them. It's just easier that way for them."

"But how long do you think he has?"

"I didn't know your father long but I know he'll hang on a bit longer. I'll be here so don't you worry."

I held in that third sigh. I was sick of sighing.

Twenty minutes later I called Danny. I heard Jake whining in the background that if he didn't eat soon, his stomach would digest itself. Danny told me I was on time and would be at my house in a few minutes.

"How's your dad?" Jake asked me when I got in Danny's car.

I gave a look that most people couldn't understand but Danny did.

"Not right now Jake," he said.

Jake's face fell as he went to face forward again. The car ride was a bit silent as we drove over to Katie's.