Chapter 15

The piece of paper was a suicide note...from Mitch.

It read: 'Scott, I'm so so sorry but I can't cope. Ever since I transformed you I've felt so overwhelmingly guilty and now Travis...I just can't deal with everything. I'm not strong enough. Please find it in your beautiful heart to forgive me. I'll love you forever please don't forget that. xxx'

A tear drop stained the bottom edge of the crumpled note. I held it close to my chest, it was like I was holding Mitch again. But I wasn't. It was just a shred of paper.

"We found this in his room near the windowsill." The officer spoke quietly.

I didn't answer back. How had I not noticed that Mitch was depressed? He'd never mentioned being suicidal, I knew he was acting quiet and regretted transforming me but never did I think he was planning to take his own life. I could have helped him! He could have recovered...he could still be here now! If it weren't for me being so selfish all of the time; only caring about myself...

"C-can I keep it?" I stuttered, struggling to hold back the fountain of tears that were threatening to spill from my bloodshot eyes.

"If you want. We've done all of the tests we needed to on it...the only DNA found on the note was Mitchel- Mitch's. We also did a complete check of the room and found only Mitch's DNA. That's how we can confirm that this was definitely a suicide."

"O-okay." I mumbled. The news was still sinking in. My best friend really had killed himself.

"Can I please ask you something." The officer asked uneasily.

"Mmhm"

"What did he mean by transforming you?"

"Oh um" How the hell did I answer that?! If I accidentally said the wrong thing I could risk exposing the entire vampire community! I decided not to answer and just shrugged my shoulders.

"Don't want to say anything? That's okay I understand how you're feeling." He smiled at me sympathetically. "You can go now if you'd like," he pointed towards the door. I nodded quickly, clutching the note, before standing up and leaving.

Back home I folded Mitch's letter carefully before tucking it away in a drawer. I then quickly made a coffee because I could feel my eyelids drooping, and took it back to my room. I paused outside of Mitch's room. I hadn't been in there since he'd um...jumped. I pondered over whether I should go in and eventually decided yes. Even when Mitch was alive I didn't often go in his room so I had no clue where anything was.

Not looking for anything in particular, I walked over to his closet - his beloved closet. All of the clothes smelt beautiful; like Mitch. Every shoe was perfectly aligned with the one next to it and the tops and trousers were divided by season. I fondly remembered him spending days  in his closet when we first bought the house, he insisted that everything must be arranged perfectly. And it was. Nothing in there was out of place, except one thing. A small, plastic bag sat in the corner. I picked it up warily, wondering what was inside. There was a scribbled message on the side, it said 'For Scott'. I almost dropped the bag in surprise...why did he have something for me?

Inside of the bag, which wasn't too heavy, was a large, glass, picture frame. The image inside was a collection of pictures all the way from high school to recently. There  were pictures of Kirstie, our parents, Wyatt, the first time Pentatonix met up, holidays and events and lots of cheesy selfies. My eyes welled up again as I realized how much thought, time and effort Mitch had put into the gift. With the frame in my hand I closed the closet and left Mitch's room, walking back into my own. I sat on my bed and drank my coffee, looking at the frame and listening to PTX music for the rest of the day.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, I awoke to the harsh and annoying sound of my ringtone. I really needed to change it. With heavy eyes I looked down at the caller. It was Avi. I decided I'd better answer him.

"Hey Avi," I yawned into my phone.

"Hi, I need to talk to you about the band." He said seriously, getting straight to the point.

"What about it?" I asked nervously, sitting straight up in bed.

"I've discussed it with the rest of the group already and, well, we've agreed that we need to go our separate ways."

"What? So like, split up Pentatonix?!" I couldn't believe my ears.

"Yes." 

Note: This story is so sad...I didn't even plan for it to be oops...Hope you enjoyed this chapter and thanks so much to everyone who's been voting and commenting, it means so much to me! Jess x