Chapter 5

'Grassi Legends' I typed into my laptop, humming a song from the new Beyonce album. Maybe I'd get some answers on here. I remembered over hearing Mitch talk about the legends to Travis...but what exactly were they. I drummed my fingers onto the table waiting for my laptop to process the results. Why was our WiFi so bad? Ugh.

A page of results flashed onto my screen, curious, I clicked on the top result. Here's what it said on the site.

The Grassi Legends: An Introduction

The Grassi family are well known as the largest family of vampires in history. Their family has been ever extending since the first vampire Michael Grassi. Currently, across the world, there are thought to be 150 vampires in this family. Not every person born into this family is a vampire, however generally males and brunettes are vampires. Read on to find out more about the Grassi family and their history...

Was this website for real? Should I believe what it was saying? Vampires didn't exist...did they? Well there was only one way to find out.  I'd have to call Travis.

Mitch was in the shower at this point and had left his phone in his bedroom so I sneaked in quickly and opened up his phone in search of Travis' number. I quickly took a picture of it with my phone, went back to my room, and quickly dialed it. I glared impatiently at my phone, waiting for him to pick up whilst listening to check that Mitch was still occupied in the shower.

"Hey?" I heard a confused voice on the other end of the phone.

"Hi is this Travis?"

"Um yeah, could I ask who this is?"

"It's Scott." I was answered with silence. "Mitch's friend?"

"Oh THAT Scott."

"He told me about himself." I crossed my fingers as I said this, hoping that he would believe me.

"About what?" He replied innocently though I could sense a hint of nervousness in his voice.

"You know what." I bit my lip praying that I'd gotten it right; this was going to be pretty embarrassing otherwise.

"Look he really shouldn't have told you. You do know what he's going to have to do now right?"

"W-what?" Oh no. What had I gotten myself into?

"Well he'll have to transform you."

"Into a..."

"Vampire."

Then the line went dead. I dropped my phone in shock. It all made sense now, well, obviously not complete sense. I was still trying to wrap my head around the fact that vampires actually EXISTED?! But the search history, the secret phone calls, the tattoo, and why he's been so weird around me; it all added up. I heard the bathroom door creak open at that point. I knew I had to confront him...

"Mitch?"

"Yeah wait a sec!"

A few moments later he appeared in my room, with a towel wrapped round his tiny waist, displaying his numerous tattoos.

"Is it true?" I asked boldly, looking him straight in the eye.

"W-what are you talking about?" He stuttered nervously.

"Are you a vampire?" I had no idea where this sudden rush of confidence came from. Maybe it's all the anger I've kept inside fighting it's way out.

"How...how did you find out?" He didn't even try to deny it.

"Travis."

"You spoke to Travis why...how? He looked so confused, however that confusion quickly transformed into realisation.

"You know what I'm going to have to do right? I don't want to...but I have to. Otherwise they-they'll kill you."

He looked at me his eyes full of regret before he lunged at me. Gripping my neck with his small yet surprisingly strong hands, he opened his mouth so that I could see a pair of gleaming white fangs rip through his gums, leaving blood across his mouth.

"I'm so sorry..." He murmured, before he sank his fangs into my flesh, it felt like a million miniature daggers digging deep into my numb body. I tried to scream, I opened my mouth but no sound came out. Tears streamed from my bloodshot eyes, burning my face with an apparent acidity. As much as I tried to resist he forced himself upon me more strongly each time. When had he gotten this strong?

I felt myself being drained. Drained of blood, drained of life, drained of hope. My head pounded and I started to feel faint, the pain was more excruciating than ever and at that point I just wanted to die.

Faster and faster, I could feel blood gushing down my neck and the iciness of Mitch's breath in my ear as he panted; clearly exhausted from torturing me. It was only a few seconds but it felt like a lifetime.

Then I was gone, everything turned black and I slumped to the cold, hard ground. Was I dead? I couldn't tell. Physically I was still alive... but emotionally and mentally? I wasn't so sure.

I heard Mitch gasp. I couldn't see him but I could picture the shock on his face as he stared at my seemingly lifeless body. Did he regret what he'd done? Or had he really become a heartless monster?

I heard a faint sob, hurried footsteps and the door slam. Now I knew I was alone. Only this time I could be dying...