When Adam Dumped Eve...

Start from the beginning

"Aren't you coming in? I bought some of that green tea you like." Her brow was furrowed, and she tried to smooth it before he mentioned botox again. Adam always came in. In fact, it was usually her trying to get him to leave, to maintain their status quo.

"Listen, babe."

Her brow furrowed even further; her left hand came up to tug at her eyebrow.

"I don't think we should keep doing this. Us."

Her hand jerked and four eyebrow hairs came with it. "What? Us? What do you mean?"

"Us. This. Us. I want to stop seeing each other."

"You want to break up. You want to break up?" Even to her own ears she sounded high-pitched.

Adam's eyes widened. "Er, well, it isn't breaking up, really, is it? I mean, we weren't like... officially going out, were we?"

"Pardon?" She didn't think her jaw could drop any further.

"It's just, I don't really think we have any, like, chemistry, you know?" He was looking at her with concern, as if he was worried she was having a stroke.

Was she having a stroke? The idea was nearly preferable.

"And it's really not that big of a deal because, really, we were never like, exclusive, were we? So we haven't wasted any, you know... time..."

"PARDON?" She better be having a stroke. Eve wasn't quite sure what he said next but, judging by the last few sentences, they were probably not all that articulate. Not that she could judge. If she uttered "pardon" one more time Adam would be obliged to call an ambulance.

She remembered sitting there, dumbfounded, until Adam had undone her seatbelt and leaned across her, pushing open the car door. She knew she had stumbled out of the car, in a daze, as he sped off. She remembered getting out her phone, her shaking fingers punching in her best friend's number.

She scrambled around now, her stomach still in knots, as she looked for her phone. Buried underneath her blanket, along with a spoon and an empty tub of Ben & Jerry's, was her somewhat sticky device.

Five missed phone calls and two new texts.

Opening the first message, she quickly skimmed the text.

'Going to sort thru attic this evening. C u at 5.'

Eve groaned aloud. She had forgotten she was helping her mother and grandmother with their decluttering. Marie Kondo had taken over the suburban women and nobody's knick knacks were safe anymore. Her stomach twisted further.

The remaining text was from Ronnie.

'Hey, why aren't you answering? I rang you FIVE TIMES! Hope you're feeling better.

CALL ME. X'

Eve hit the redial number and Veronica picked up on the second ring.

"What took you so long? I thought you were dead!"

"All right, Ronnie, calm down. I just woke up. I think I'm in shock." Sinking into the couch, Eve ran her fingers through her hair, grimacing as they tangled in a sticky dairy patch.

"Oh, you poor thing. Forget about Adam. He's such a mug. You can do so much better." Veronica's voice was soothing down the phone; but it still made Eve's heart hurt.

"What happened, Ron? I don't understand."

"Oh, I know, love. Break ups are tough, especially when you don't see them coming. We ate our weight in Cookie Dough last night. Though you know what all that dairy does to you. Still, you were in such a state when I came over. You were still standing outside, duck. You hadn't even unlocked your door. "

Good Lord, I am pathetic, she thought, as the memory came rushing back. "Ugh, I'm sorry, I am such a mess. What a disaster, eh?" Her eyes began to blur with tears and she angrily rubbed at the swollen eyelids.

"Don't be silly. What are friends for? If you hadn't done the same last November I would probably be living underground by now. In my dad's basement." She giggled suddenly. "He calls it his 'man cave'."

Eve snorted, and the exertion made her intestines growl.

"Look, I've gotta run, I'm supposed to be at my mum's in an hour. See you Monday, yeah? I'll bring you the world's largest 'Thank-You' coffee."

"I knew putting you back together would be worth it! You already know how I like it. See you tomorrow." Hanging up, Eve began the painful trek to the bathroom, avoiding all reflective surfaces. Rummaging in the bathroom cabinet she grabbed the bottle of lactase enzyme pills, choking it down without water. For someone who was technically lactose intolerant, she really did eat too much ice-cream.

Hanging a towel on the radiator, she turned on the hot water, waiting for the soothing mist as she quickly ran through last night's events.

Right. Let's see. Got dumped. Got ice cream. Cried myself to sleep while watching 'A Walk To Remember. That sounds about right.

Maybe the scalding hot shower could erase the rejection from her memory.

***

Thanks for reading the ramblings of my incoherent mind! I'm too poor to buy books anymore so I'm writing my own...

If you like it, PLEASE leave a comment, keep reading and sure give me a STAR while you're at it! If you have any advice on how to improve the story, I like that too! 

Thanks again for reading though, it means the world to a little thing like me. x