The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Twelve

Start from the beginning

"Give up already!"

"Take her down, Bird!"

"She's running away! That's cheating!"

She steeled herself, forcing the voices out of her ears and head. She needed to stay focused if this was going to work. She needed to convince her aunt to take the bait.

She chose her spot, trying to keep an eye on the sun and her ears tuned to the wind. Timing would be everything. If Indigo misjudged any one of three things, Kalmara would walk away the uncontested queen. How long had it been since the sun disappeared? How much cloud cover had blown in? The Bird was closing in, convinced now that her niece had exhausted herself and was only delaying the kill.

Indigo made her move. She stumbled to a point where she judged the sun to be directly behind her. She didn't have to wait long. Kalmara attacked, ready to end the match and Indigo's hopes for the throne. She knew her aunt would use one of her favorite end moves: either an easy thrust on the outside to disable Indigo on her weak arm, or a reverse stab to the chest. She just needed a little help....

There!

A dagger of light shot out from behind a cloud. The warmth grazed Indigo's head and plunged directly into Kalmara's eyes.

Indigo moved like a greased ferret. The Bird didn't have a weak side, but having committed to her lunge she couldn't change course. The blinding sun blotted out her target for just an instant, but it was all Indigo needed. She sidestepped and then grabbed her aunt's outstretched sword arm at the wrist. A quick wrench and a well-placed kick to the back paw, and she had Kalmara off balance. By the time the regent could react and try to twist away, Indigo already had her wooden sword tip at Kalmara's side, angled into her abdomen.

Indigo panted, truly spent. Her aunt looked up at her, first with shock and then angry disbelief. The gathered crowds were similarly stunned, until Indigo noticed a faint drumming that built and grew until it was a roar.

Thousands of rabbits' feet were drumming applause for a contest the likes of which they'd never see again.

The princess turned towards the royal seats. The other six queens had obviously not expected this outcome, and their expressions showed grudging admiration. Next to her, Kalmara was outwardly calm, but a telltale flush of rage was spreading at the base of her aunt's ears. Uldana the judge entered the ring. The drumming subsided.

"Well fought," Uldana declared, clearly impressed at this upset. "Do you, Kalmara, freely admit and attest that Indigo, Crown Princess, did best you fairly and without any cheating?"

Indigo saw her aunt hesitate, her mind clearly trying to comprehend defeat. A heavy silence descended, all ears trained on the queen regent.

Kalmara slowly raised a paw in the symbol of surrender. "Let it be known that the Bird is defeated."

The crowd erupted into further stamping of feet until Uldana waved them back into silence. "I declare the Crown Princess the victor, and Indigo, daughter of Delamar, shall be sworn Queen of Alvareth."

The world tilted and thunder filled Indigo's ears. Alvareth's cheers seemed to shake the very ground.

The gong sounded, clear and decisive, before its last tones were swallowed by the roar of the onlookers. Indigo looked for her sisters and found them sitting next to a grinning Kuno, their faces bright with pride and relief. She saw her father's face, a smile masking his concern.

"You're a fool if you think you can be queen from afar," Kalmara said. "You lack political sense."

"I don't plan to rule from afar," Indigo sheathed her sword. "And fortunately, I know someone with great political sense."

Kalmara looked confused, suspicion rising under her calm demeanor.

Indigo turned to where the other queens sat with her sisters and Kuno, raising her voice to be heard over the crowd. "The Order has named me, and I shall go. Therefore my first act as queen is to appoint a regent to rule Alvareth in my absence." An expectant silence fell over the grounds. She looked at Lukkas. "Alvareth needs a strong paw at the moment. One stronger and wiser than mine."

Her father sat up, expectant.

"And despite appearances, this rabbit has two of the strongest paws I know." She let her gaze slide over to her sisters. "I hereby appoint Borla Regent of Alvareth until I return."

Kalmara's face twisted as if tasting something rancid. Borla blinked, stunned, while Dorju and Kuno grinned approval. Her father simply stared, and for a moment Indigo felt a twinge of sadness—he relished his title as royal husband. She had, in one stroke, robbed him of his status.

Horjanna stood, looking at the other queens for approval before speaking. "The Seven Queendoms have heard your decree, Queen Indigo. We shall recognize Borla as Regent of Alvareth while you are at the Order."

And when I return, I shall make a worthy queen. You will see.