Chapter Fifteen

I looked around Grimmauld Place with interest, picking up on the magic that still lingered faintly in the atmosphere, picking up strongly on the Permanent Sticking Charm that was placed upon Walburga Black's portrait on the landing. Even from here, I could sense her malice. I certainly hoped she wasn't going to be doing any of that screaming nonsense again. I had a headache as it was, and I never got headaches. My human guise certainly seemed to be affecting me.

I walked into the living room, to where the trio were looking relieved, after Arthur's Patronus had appeared with a message, saying the family was safe, and not to reply back as they were being watched. I sank into a chair as Harry announced his sudden need for the bathroom and took off upstairs. Hermione soon followed, grabbing Harry's toothbrush, as he'd forgotten to take it with him. It was getting late, and all three were exhausted.

"Can we sleep in here?" Hermione asked as Harry returned. "I don't want to be alone tonight. I've got sleeping bags for us."

"Yeah, okay." Ron agreed immediately. The three of them got four sleeping bags out, and I smiled, touched that Hermione had thought of me, although she had, like many others, forgotten that I had no need for blankets. Cold did not bother me, nor did heat. I took the proffered blanket, however, smiling at her gratefully. She smiled tiredly at me and sank down into her own bag.

"Don't worry about keeping watch or anything, you three. I never sleep, so I'll keep watch over you." I said to them, smiling gently as Hermione's eyes drooped, and Ron's head dropped onto his chest as they lay down, their hands brushing one another.

All three of them were exhausted and scared. It certainly wasn't going to be an easy ride for them, there was no doubt about that. Soon enough, the three of them fell asleep, Ron and Hermione holding hands as they slept, both of them unaware of this, as they had both been asleep when it occurred.

I waited until Harry awoke, then followed him upstairs to Sirius' room, where he looked around in the drawers, until he found letters from Lily to Sirius. He sank slowly onto the bed as he sat reading, then came across the bottom part of the letter, which was ripped.

"Mum, what were you going to say?" he whispered, putting the letters down and standing. I followed him to a door which bore a plate engraved with three very familiar letters.

"R.A.B?" Harry said, amazed at having found it at last. He went inside and discovered what I had known all along.

"Regulus Arcturus Black?"

"Yes." I said, confirming Harry's thoughts. "He was Sirius' younger brother."

"So you knew him." It wasn't a question, but I nodded in confirmation, then left the room before Harry could ask anything more. I would tell him all soon enough - or rather, Kreacher would.

Hermione and Ron had entered as I was leaving, and the three of them looked for the real locket for over an hour, but came up with nothing.

"Harry," Hermione said. "Remember last summer, when we were cleaning this house out? That locket we found. . ."

"Oh, God," Harry said, horrified. "We threw it out!"

I had been stood, invisisble outside the room, listening and I walked back in.

"Perhaps Kreacher stole it back?" I suggested mildly. Harry looked up.

"Kreacher!" he called. The miserable looking elf appeared with a crack.

"You called, Master?" he said, muttering curses under his breath.

"We threw a locket out last year. Did you steal it back?"