Chapter 25: READJUSTMENT, Pt. 2

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

In Pt. 1 of this chapter, Jean and Mitchell returned to a semblance of normal life - apart from one another. Will it take a crisis to bring them back together?  If so, there may be one looming on the horizon.

Enjoy part 2 of Chapter 25 of DUBY'S DOCTOR.

~o~  ~o~  ~o~  ~o~  

In the small South American country of Mirador, the citizens were establishing new normalcy as well. A new, democratically elected government was daily becoming more organized and efficient. Citizens were hopeful for the future, after several years of civil strife—strife that had ended when the CIA-backed rebels achieved victory over the man who liked to call himself His Excellency.

A colleague of His late Excellency, the man named Iglesias, was seeking a new life, and a new identity, in the United States. And, he was seeking revenge upon Carinne Averell and her bodyguard, the man who had humiliated Iglesias under a midnight moon on the beach at Mathieson Hammock nearly two years ago.

 And, he was seeking revenge upon Carinne Averell and her bodyguard, the man who had humiliated Iglesias under a midnight moon on the beach at Mathieson Hammock nearly two years ago

In Iglesias' mind, that night was the beginning of the end for him. After that night, it was just a matter of time before the Averell arms deal was broken up by the DHS. Those weapons would have turned the tide in Mirador and defeated the rebels, and their CIA helpers. His Excellency's wedding to Carinne had been ignominiously thwarted as well—not that Iglesias particularly cared who or what might have shared His Excellency's love nest. The girl, Carinne, had undoubtedly laughed at His Excellency's failures, and, if she had laughed at His Excellency, she had laughed all the more at Iglesias.

For a while, Iglesias had at least been gratified to know that the insolent bodyguard had been executed by Averell for his part in Iglesias' degradation on the Mathieson Hammock beach. Since then, however, news had reached him that the bodyguard somehow survived.

This was unacceptable. No low-level thug would be permitted to insult and attack Señor Iturralde Iglesias and live.

So, while he had long-range plans to retire to the South of Spain, Iglesias temporarily resided—under another name—in Coconut Grove, Florida, USA. There, he kept watch on the mansion compound where Carinne ran her new business empire, and he frequently observed the sailboat where the surviving ex-bodyguard lived.

 There, he kept watch on the mansion compound where Carinne ran her new business empire, and he frequently observed the sailboat where the surviving ex-bodyguard lived