44. fire escapes and executions

AN: okay. I'm so happy sad right now, but I guess I should point it out. There will be one more chapter left after this one (cue hysterical crying - I don't want this to end!!!)

After chapter 45, there will be an epilogue and special bonuses to give you a view on some other characters as it hits milestones. Man, I can't even talk about it anymore. I don't want it to end. Seriously, in a toddler-like tantrum I might not even post the last chapters just so it goes on forever (kidding).

here it is. Love you guys.

Don't forget to vote and comment if you can, it helps me so much.

Ann 💕

Chloe,

Chloe,

At lunch time, be by the courtyard. By the statue of Mathew Arlington.

Consider this a favor. From me to you.

Jack.

"Please, just, I don't know, talk with me," Lola continued, her gaze frantic and her fingers wringing the corner of her untucked blouse. Like she was nervous.

My lips opened and closed, no words escaping as I tried to process exactly what was going on. It was a complete contrast to everything I'd anticipated, and she was so deadly calm that it felt like a trap. A big one. But what could I do? Leave for class and let it all wait for me at lunch time? I cast a glance to the students around us, their gazes already fixed on Lola and I.

I finally nodded, my gut twisting in warning.

"Come on, let's go somewhere private," she said, grabbing my wrist and leading me away.

Oh God, what is she going to do with me?

My heartbeat accelerated. Appearing weak had to be to her advantage. She could be leading me to my death, for all I knew. Maybe Sophie was lying in waiting with a knife or some other murder weapon. I started calculating how quickly I could call for help.

Why couldn't you have been smarter, Chloe? You should have told her no. You should have just done it.

"I don't want people to overhear," Lola muttered, her caramel hair bouncing from her ponytail as she scoured the people around us. Was she making sure nobody was eavesdropping? Or was she making sure nobody else from level one were nearby?

Or making sure there will be no witnesses to your untimely death.

"Overhear what?" I managed to ask, my voice much too feeble. I cleared my throat. I couldn't appear weak.

She sighed, running a hand through the loose golden strands which fell to her face. "We just need to talk, okay?"

I raised an eyebrow as she continued to navigate us through the students. With a small pang of guilt, I realized I'd be skipping my first class. I could already hear my mom's impending lecture.