Love to Lust to Love

Jan peered over my shoulder and rested her hand on my back. “It’s real nice, Dev.”

                I nodded. The perfect ring. How could she say no?

                “I’m glad you like it.” The woman said. “Much better than those plain rings, don’t you think?”

                “She’s not a plain girl.” I said with a small smile.

                “She really isn’t.” Jan said. “She turned this girl around lickety split. Used to sleep with anything that moved. It was insane. She’d ditch me at the bar for some girl and I—”

                “Would spend the night staring at Luce like a sad puppy without a home.” I mumbled.

                The woman chuckled quietly. “Best friends I see. So, this girl is really something special?”

                I nodded. “One of the best things in my life.”

                “I wish you luck.” She smiled. “Now, what size do you need this to be?”

                I was walking away with a ring in my jacket pocket and butterflies in my stomach. I could feel it bouncing against my hip as I walked.

                “So, when do you want to do this?”

                I shrugged. “I don’t know. After Thanksgiving.”

                “That’s in a week. How far after Thanksgiving?”

                I thought about it for a minute. “Christmas?”

                “You gonna wrap it up or something?” Jan asked, seeming disappointed in that idea.

                I thought about it for a long while, and then smiled. “I’ve got an idea.”

                “What is it?”

                “I can’t tell you.”

                “Why not?”

                “You’ll tell Luce.”

                “So? I’ll probably tell her you’re going to propose.”

                “You can’t do that either.”

                “Why not?”

                “I need it to be a secret until I get her parents’ permission.”

                “What do you mean permission?” Jan scoffed. “You never ask permission for anything, you just do it.”

                “I want to do this right. I need to. She deserves the best, and I know I’m not that, but I’m going to try and get as close as I can to being that for her.”

                “What did she do to you that first time you slept with her?” Jan said with a laugh.

                “Changed my world.”

                “What, is she that great?”

                I laughed too and said, “The best, but that’s not it. It’s just her. There’s something about her.”