Anticipation

"Get up you big bum, it's already 1 in the afternoon and you have to get married today, stop being so lazy." Jan-fuck, Riley said as he threw a pillow at my head.

               "Boy, I swear to God, I will fight you if you do that again." I mumbled darkly as I rolled over.

               I could see his face flush when I called him boy, and it definitely made the extra effort worth it. "Shut up and get moving. Luce will be here soon, she's gonna start getting you ready for your big day."

               "You mean this isn't ready?" I rolled over and gestured to myself. I was in a t-shirt and a pair of dark blue boxers, I obviously hadn't showered or brushed my teeth, and later I would find that my hair was sticking straight up on one side.

               "Oh yeah, show up like that, let's see how strong your relationship is shall we?" Sh-he smiled and began walking out of the bedroom, but stopped at the door. "Hey, about today and the whole Riley thing, I don't want to take away from your attention, it belongs on you, so don't feel like you have to do anything."

               "Do you want me to call you Riley and stuff?" I was getting out of bed, my feet were on the floor and I was checking my phone to see if Sara had texted me.

               "Well, yeah, but like I said, it's your wedding and—"

               "Then that's what I'll call you. And if you want, I'll correct anyone else. If you don't want me to I won't, I don't want to out you, but if you're ready and you want me to do this, then I will."

               Riley smiled and looked down at his feet. "Thanks Dev, really."

               "I'm your best friend, I'd be pretty shitty if I didn't treat you how you wanted to be treated. Like I said, I don't want to out you, so if you're not comfortable with this then I won't do it. You can move slower if you want to, I don't want you feeling like I'm pushing you to tell everyone today, I can call you J and stick to gender neutral pronouns if you would be more comfortable like that. I want you to do you the right way."

               He nodded slowly and chewed his lip. "I think in front of everyone, that's the best until I come out. But with us, you know Luce and Sara and your brother, yeah, I'd like to be called Riley and stuff. But I'm not sure I'm ready for everyone to know today."

               "Then in front of everyone I'll just say J and they/them stuff, or I'll try really hard. You're going to have to give me some time, I'm going to work on it."

               "I know, and that means the world to me."

               "Do you want me to tell Sara and Caleb?" I asked.

               "If you see them before I do you can, but I still want to talk to them myself. I'll probably see them first so it's not a big deal, don't worry about it. Now go shower, you smell."

               "Yeah, yeah, yeah." I mumbled as I stood up and started walking to the bathroom.

               "And don't talk to Sara! You're cut off from her until the wedding!"

               "I know!" I called back as I shut the door.

               I turned on the water and disrobed before picking up my phone again. I went into my recent calls and clicked call.

               It rang three or four times, and just as I was about to hang up a voice came through. "Hey." Sara said in a hushed whisper.