Original Edition: 03 | Eyes

Start from the beginning

"Do you know me?" I finally ask in a whisper.

His mouth twitches. "Everyone knows you."

I purse my lips, displeased. "That's not what I meant."

"I know."

That's all I seem to be able to get out of him, as he drops his eyes to the book, ignoring me for the remainder of the class. But even when he's not looking at me, I can tell he's paying attention to me, and that's enough to keep my mind occupied, and to send Shakespeare's words flying way over my head. I fumble my way through the class, feeling unnerved, and when the bell finally rings, it feels like I can breathe easier.

The boy beside me is quick to exit the classroom, leaving before I can question him further. Sighing, I collect my things together and stand from my seat. Zoe is standing next to her desk, facing me with a bit of a smile on her face, before flipping her blonde locks over her shoulder. I return it briefly, making my way toward her.

We start to head for the door, before a voice stops me.

"Alina, do you mind staying behind a minute?"

I turn to face the teacher, watching me with an apologetic smile.

Zoe and I exchange a look before I meet his eyes again, nodding. "Not a problem."

"I'll find you at lunch," she promises, before leaving the classroom in a cloud of perfume.

He waits until the remainder of the students file out of the room, and I shift uncomfortably. Once the last student eventually exits, he closes the door quietly. He sighs, before looking at me sympathetically, taking up his perch on the edge of his desk.

"I'm sorry," he says, "I wasn't made aware of the fact you were coming back to school today. How are you doing? With everything?"

His question feels sincere, as does the concern in his hazel eyes, but the subject matter is the last thing I want to talk about right now. "I'm managing," I remark, choosing to keep it simple.

"That's all you can do," he says, nodding. "I want you to know you're more than welcome to spend some time here after school from now on and get caught up in your classes. I don't want you to be confused, and I assure you, all the other teachers will feel the same way."

"Thanks, Mr..." I trail off, uncertainly.

"Warren," he finishes helpfully.

I give him a smile. "Thanks, Mr. Warren."

He returns the smile momentarily, before frowning. "There are things we need to discuss regarding your grades, and track record with assignments... but we'll save that for when you're feeling a little more up to speed."

My eyebrows furrow, unsure what he means by the cryptic words. "Okay," I reply, not knowing what else to say.

"It's good to see you back in school, Alina," he says. "I know everyone was worried about you."

I spread my lips into a tiny smile, the best that I can manage, tucking some hair behind my ear.

"You should check in at the office to let them know you're here." He sees the look on my face, quickly adding, "It's right next to the entrance."

"Thank you," I mumble, clutching my books to my chest and quickly vacating the room.

After checking in at the office and getting my class schedule, I somehow manage to navigate to my next two classes, though I still feel lost and out of place in each one.

By the time lunch rolls around and I make it back to my locker, I'm already drained.

I open it with a flourish, after looking at the little piece of paper Zoe gave me with the combination scrawled across it. After I've shoved my books into the thing and closed it again, the girl herself reappears, as promised.