Part 17

Dimitri's POV

Christian and I had to make a bed on the floor for the girls since the Strigoi still laid on the actual bed.

"Belikov, what happen in there?" asked Abe with a worried tone that I didn't even know he was capable of.

All eyes were on me, waiting for all the details of Rose's encounter with the Strigoi.

"Didn't you all hear?" I asked, no emotion in my voice.

"At first yes, but the Strigoi's cries became too loud to hear or understand anything," explained Adrian.

I closed my eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath. The sight of Rose, lost completely to the darkness was an image I will never forget. Her beautiful brown eyes completely covered in black. Her beautiful heart and mind filled with darkness.

"Belikov?" Jeanine softly asked.

"I understand Dimitri," said Christian, "I've seen it."

"It was horrible." I finally said as I opened my eyes.

I couldn't talk about it. I knew I had to let them know all the information we gather. But I couldn't bring myself to say a word of the process to get the information.

"It was about a year ago," started Christian, "Lissa and I had been staying at her house to help out with Matty. The first nights since Matty was born, we kept hearing Rose cry herself to sleep. One day, I finally brought it up. She explained to us how much she wanted you," he pointed at me, "to be there. Matty reminded her of you, I mean, look at him." He smiled weakly.

"A few days passed and Rose was back to her old self. She was happy with Matty. Matty's two-week-old check-up came around and so we all went. As we left the doctor's office, a terrible car crash happened. Hit and run. Rose and Lissa rushed to the car that remained and a woman was behind the wheel with her six year old son in the backseat. Rose checked the lady's pulse. She was alive. But Lissa realized the boy wasn't going to make it. A piece of glass from the window had landed on the kid's neck and he was losing blood fast. Lissa acted on impulse. She healed him but the mother had woken up by then and was screaming her lungs out, yelling 'witch' at her. By this point we could hear the sirens coming closer and so we had no other option. Lissa compel both the woman and the kid to forget about us."

"The moment Rose and I noticed the darkness taking over Lissa, Rose took it all in. But she was weak. Her body was still recovering from having Matty, her heart still ache over you. The darkness took over her completely. She targeted Lissa and I did all the possible things to keep her off Lissa but Rose was too strong. Way stronger than her normal self. I don't know how but for a few seconds, Rose took control. And in those few seconds, she told me to kill her. I hadn't used my fire in a while and I didn't think I was going to be able to control it and so I reached for the handgun she kept hidden by the entrance. I aimed at her and I saw the darkness take over again and this time, she was coming for me. I shot her, eventually, in the arm. The pain seemed to bring back Rose. After that Rose and I worked harder than ever to work together. She learned to control the darkness, letting go of small portion of it as she fought one-on-one at the academy and I, I learned to control my fire."

Silence filled the room.