I drummed my hands nervously to the beat of my music on my steering wheel as I drove up and down the blocks, passing dozens of small children running along the lit walkways that lead to all the houses. I needed to get to Alex, but these kids were holding me back. As bad as I wanted to slam on my gas and say fuck it, I resisted the temptation.

Some fifteen minutes later, and I was pulled in front of the same blue house from the other night. I could feel moisture forming underneath my palms as I gripped the steering wheel tighter. Alex didn't answer my text and I hoped that he wasn't sour about my punctuality, or lack of. I mentally reminded myself to relax, asking myself what the big deal was as I sauntered up the steps of the quaint house. I straightened my tight fitting shirt and knocked on the door.

Moments later, the door swung open and I was met with a girl who looked to be a couple of years younger than Alex. Instantly she was handing me a small bowl full of candy, not once taking her eyes of her precious iPhone.

"There's a doorbell for a reason." She announced, her voice tinged with annoyance

"Ah, right. Sorry," I mumbled. Startled by the deepness of my voice, her gaze snapped up at me revealing a set of familiar green eyes."Is Alex around still? I'm a little late."

She shook herself out of her stupefied state, "Come in, come in!" She excitedly ushered me into an open living room.

The pleasant smell of fall candles hit me as I entered the room. My glance landed on a small white puff of fur curled up on a soft mauve blanket that draped off the couch. A smile played across my face as I walked closer. I gently ran the tips on my fingers down the back of the small kitten that we had come across a couple of nights ago. I had almost completely forgotten about the little thing. A purr erupted from the blankets as the creature lifted its head. It looked much healthier than it did when I found it. He seemed right at home here and although I hate to admit it, it made me quite happy.

Suddenly, a voice interrupted my adoration, "Let me get this straight. You're the guy taking my lame brother to a party? What gives, you're like a 10."

I could tell she wasn't shy like her brother. I laughed awkwardly, wondering when I was going to regain my suave.

I mustered up some balls, "Shhh, don't tell anyone, but he's actually paying me." I grinned, looking her up and down, trying to seem almost innocent, "What are you doing later?" I gave her a wink and she melted into a giggling mess.

"I-I'll go get Alex." And with that she backed away, bumping into the staircase as she tried not to break eye contact with me.

I watched as she raced up the stairs past an older woman who I was assuming was Alex's mother.

"Who was it dear? Another trick-or-treater?"

I watched Alex's sister turn as she reached the top of the stairs, "That's Kaine mom, Kaine!" she forced the words through her teeth as quietly as she could. Alex's mother turned to me wide eyed, descending the stairs at an alarming rate. Geez, I wasn't in this house for more than 2 minutes and already everyone knew who I was.

"Hi, I'm Kai-"

"Kaine! I know, I've heard such good things about you! You can call me Karen." She kissed my cheek and gave me a firm hug. "It must be freezing outside! You're still so cold!"

I nodded my head and shrugged, "It is a bit chilly out, I don't mind it though, I actually prefer the cold...." 

"Well alright! Can I get you anything? Are you hungry?"

I opened my mouth to answer but was quickly interrupted by Alex racing down the stairs, his sister closely tailing him.

"No mom he's fine. We really gotta go now if that's okay?"