16. Gravity

"Hey, you," says Mitch, appearing back in the studio's small seating area. "That's me done, so we're good to go." He beams, bouncing on the balls of his feet, restlest with pent up excitement. Scott looks up at him from his phone, his blue eyes contrasting strikingly against the dark eyeliner and shadow. "Wow. I'd forgotten how sexy you are in full eye makeup," says Mitch, "I like it. We should do that to you for more videos," he tilts his head, drinking the image in before practically bouncing across to the counter opposite to grab a bottle of water.

Scott glances up at the clock on the wall, "God, it's gone midnight; how much coffee have you had, Mitch?!" he says, referring to Mitch's alert state.

"I'm just high on life, baby. You wanna change before we go?"

"Nope. Too tired. You get all this to go," Scott says, batting his eyelashes.

"Well you'll get no complaints from me there, beautiful. Gimmie five to grab a wipe and take my freckles off," he frowns at Scott, "why don't you at least swap that jacket for a hoodie, that way you can be snug in the car;
you can even doze on the way home, I'm driving, remember."

Scott nods, slightly relieved. He'd forgotten actually. Him driving has become their default in LA, Mitch's last few fender benders having knocked his confidence a bit and Scott's happy to see Mitch offering to drive again. There's little chance of him dozing off though; being a passenger to Mitch is not exactly the most relaxing experience.

----

"Mitch! That's our exit, you need to change lanes! Mitch?! Can you hear me? Okay... we missed it."

"Relax, there's something I want to show you. It's not far. Next exit."

"Something you want to show me?! It's nearly one in the morning!"

"It's a surprise," Mitch says evasively, eyes fowards, his gaze not leaving the road. He grips the steering wheel a little tighter.

"A surprise?" Scott says looking at Mitch with a thoroughly puzzled expression. "Do I get a hint?"

"Nope."

They're silent for a little while, Scott occasionally looking over to Mitch, who now has the trace of a smile on his lips but is avoiding eye contact.

"Not even a little one?"

"Nope," Mitch repeats, checking his mirrors as he moves off at the next exit. They drive in silence for another 10 minutes or so and Scott is aware that they are driving further and further from civilisation. "Mitch, where are we going? There is literally nothing out here."

"I know. That's kinda the point."

Scott's mouth falls open a little. "Okay, you're starting to freak me out a little now."

"Relax, we're here," he says, slowing the car and turning into a small car park at the top of a hiking trail. The loose chippings underneath the car wheels making a loud crunch until they come to a stop. Then, silence.

"We're... in the middle of nowhere," says Scott, stating the obvious. "Mitch?" he asks, uncertainly.

Mitch turns the car headlights off. "Out the car."

"What?!" Scott says, "Are you kidding me?"

"Scott, do you trust me?"

"Always."

"Then get out the car."

Scott takes a breath, nods and does just that, Mitch stepping out of his side of the car at the exact same time. They slam their doors shut and stand looking towards each other across the top of the car.