1. Clarity

This is set immediately after the 'ARE WE DATING?' Superfruit episode. I'd recommend watching the episode before you read.

Mitch stands up, walks around to the foot of the bed and launches himself backwards onto the duvet with a dramatic flourish. "Ugh, I was a mess mama. Why did we think that was a good idea?!" He holds both hands over his face and speaks through them, his voice slightly muffled. "Did you talk to Kevin about not posting everything to fucking Snapchat?"**

Scott leans forward to turn various bits of film gear off. "Yeah, I spoke with him... I swear he's the biggest Scömichè shipper out there," he says, laughing and shaking his head.

"No, that would be you, hunty," Mitch says with a smirk.

"Well, can you blame me?" Says Scott, as he coils electrical cables in his hands, his tone light and teasing.

Mitch misses his cue, not responding to the banter and instead sighs, exhaling slowly through pursed lips as he tilts his chin up, blinking rapidly in an attempt to shake off a hot feeling, akin to panic, that has suddenly risen into his chest; strong enough to cause a thin film of tears across his eyes.

Scott pauses, glancing over at Mitch and waits for him to lift his head up and make eye contact but he doesn't move. He walks over and lays down on the vacant half of the bed, turning towards the smaller boy and pushing himself up to rest on one elbow. "Hey, you okay, babe?"

Mitch closes his eyes and takes another deep breath. "Ugh, you know how uncomfortable those questions make me. Just give me a minute." Another shaky breath. "It's just... That just felt, super invasive. It's worse now that..." he trails off, but he's managed keep his voice steadier than he thought he would.

Scott shuffles a little closer, trying to better read Mitch's expression. "Worse how? Now that what?"

Mitch stares up at the ceiling, bringing his arms up to gesture. "Well, now that everyone is just expecting us to suddenly be together, like Alex was the only thing stopping me from jumping you!" He laughs, but it doesn't quite meet his eyes or match his tone of voice. At the mention of Alex's name, Scott's lips harden into a thin line and he glances down, staring at the bed linen.

"Oh, God", gasps Mitch, glancing over at Scott. "I'm sorry baby; that was really fucking insensitive of me". He turns and pushes himself onto one elbow, mirroring Scott's position, and uses his right hand to gently tip Scott's face back up to meet his gaze. Finally making eye contact, Mitch is taken aback by the sadness in Scott's eyes. "Shit, Scott, sorry, I'm..." he trails off again and instead strokes Scott's upper arm gently.

"So why then?" Scott asks quietly.

"Why what?" Mitch replies, frowning, the question seemingly out of context.

"Why aren't we together?"

A fleeting pause; Mitch is caught off balance for a moment. "Because we're not old and alone yet?!", he says, echoing Scott's earlier response that, quite frankly, is the main reason he's pissed right now.

Scott narrows his eyes, "Mitch..."

Mitch opens his mouth to speak, but hesitates, not wanting to get into this now; he's tired, drained from the effort of appearing bubbly for the camera; until he sees Scott's deadly serious expression. He sighs, his face deadpan. "Because I don't want to be anyone's plan B. Least of all yours." Mitch pulls his arm back from where it was resting on Scott's bicep.

"Oh."

A long pause. Multiple heartbeats long.

"It's more about timing though right? You know, more than any actual planning per say", Scott says casually, inadvertently pissing Mitch off further.

"So, what, like now it's convenient?!"

Scott looks stricken, realising his mistake. "No, no! God no, that's not what I meant. I mean, shit, I'm terrible at this." Scott takes a deep breath and reaches for Mitch's hand in his own, moving his thumb in circles across Mitch's knuckles. He pauses, thinking carefully about what he wants to say. "No," he says firmly, "that's not what I meant. what I meant was, well; you were with someone, and then I was, and, it just became normal. I got really good at convincing myself that I was happy with that. But now I... things are... different. I feel like I'm finally in a place where I can be honest with myself about all this. You're not plan B, Mitch, not ever, it's just never been a clear option before." He stops, speaking slowly and with emphasis; "I've never been able to see it with so much clarity; what I want, I mean. I want you".

Another pause. In the stillness, Scott can feel his own pulse thrumming in his temples and fingertips. He said it. He finally fucking said it. It feels slightly unreal, finally acknowledging out loud these inner thoughts he's carried for so long.

Mitch doesn't looked shocked. Not even midly stunned. But there's a trace of a smile and a light in his eyes that tells Scott this is welcome information. "You're not the only one who's got good at lying to themselves, y'know." Mitch sighs, rolling his eyes. "I've built up some pretty solid walls over the years."

"I was hoping some of those we're starting to come down", Scott says, thinking about how close the two of them had got recently, how tactile they'd become. Even for them. His hand moves up to Mitch's face, cupping his jaw and rubbing his thumb over the light stubble there.

"Mmmm..." murmurs Mitch, closing his eyes and leaning into Scott's hand.

Scott feels like his heart should be beating out of his chest as he leans in and captures Mitch's lips in a soft kiss but instead he feels calm, tranquil almost. He pulls back gently, eyes scanning Mitch's face for a reaction. Mitch's eyes are still closed, lips slightly parted, his breathing rapid. Scott leans in again, slowly; slightly worried that Mitch might startle and bolt like some timid woodland creature. The kiss starts off gentle, like before, but changes suddenly and with an intake of breath, something snaps inside Mitch; the last wall tumbling as he growls deep in his chest, actually fucking growls, like some predatory animal. It's like he's suddenly been hit with an adrenaline shot and his limbs jolt, grabbing for Scott.

Scott deepens the kiss, pressing himself closer and pulling the smaller boy into his arms fully; their legs intertwining, hands roaming. Tranquil has been upgraded; he feels light - headed, drunk even. Mitch pulls back slightly, eyes wide, lips swollen. "So, we're doing this, then?"

"Yeah...", Scott says, breathlessly. "I mean, please, yes, God Mitch, I want this, I want you. So much".

"Well, about fucking time.", Mitch says with a satisfied smirk as he pushes Scott onto his back and straddles his hips.

**