Chapter 16 - Pain and Power

Start from the beginning

            Landon’s bicep flexed as he pulled himself onto the railing, “I’m down to do that.” Landon reached into his pocket and pulled out a cigarette then snapped his fingers to light it. He took a deep drag from it and looked out. “This kind of reminds me of my home.”

            Ford turned away and leaned against the railing looking at the dray grass. A small patch of green seemed to flicker to life. A small white flower bloomed in the sun. Smiling, Ford looked at the single flower then stood up. He turned to Erin and Landon his face pale. “The Forest Sage is here.”
            Suddenly a long vine whipped through the railing and wrapped around Landon’s neck. It jerked him back onto the grass dragging him towards some trees.

            “Shit,” Erin jumped over the railing running after him. She held her hand out and the red glow of a sword. The glow faded in place of a real sword and Erin cut the vine around Landon’s neck.

            More vines whipped to life and pointed at the two. Landon moved his hands around causing the vines to catch on fire. Suddenly, a large swirl of leaves surrounded the two causing small cuts in their face. Ford sent a gust of wind blowing then landed besides the two.

            “Where is he?” Erin shouted looking around the now quiet, empty park. “He’s probably in the trees somewhere.”

            “There,” Landon pointed to the top of a pine as a green cloaked figure leapt from one branch to another. The figure pointed a bow and arrow at the group and shot one. The three jumped as the arrow struck the ground between them then burst into large vines. Ford and Landon were able to dodge the whips but Erin became tangled.

            “Enough, time to show this Sage what I really got.” Erin focused her energy in her hands a sword disappeared and a shield formed. She spun around slicing through all the vines in once motion breaking them. She pointed the now glowing shield at the tops of the trees and a large white beam shot from it towards the sage. The buzz from the beam and release of energy was immense. It snapped the thousand-year-old pine causing a smoldering burnt bit to be all that remained.

            Ford’s mouth dropped at the power, it was unlike anything he had ever seen. Erin’s strength had grown so much more and he suddenly felt far behind the other Sages. He gulped glad that she was on his side.

            “He’s gone.” Landon said and looked at Erin who looked as if she was going to faint. “That took a lot out of you.”

            “Just trying to hold my breakfast in. But hey, I am still awake this time…I’m gaining more control.” Erin smirked back at Landon.

***

            The Mountain Motel wasn’t too far from the park. The room was a small double bed with some random painting of a mountain and an old television. Once they checked in Landon made his way to the bathroom to patch up his wounds.

            “This is nice,” Erin looked at Ford and smiled, “I’m just kidding. I think I saw a vending machine, come with me to get a soda.” The two stepped out of the motel room. They walked together towards a vending machine down the hall.

            “You’re so much stronger.” Ford commented as they reached the machine. Erin looked over all the sodas then reached into her pocket.

            “In some ways.” Erin pulled out some coins and slid them into the machine. She looked back at Ford and smiled. “I’m really sorry about this morning. It was uncalled for how I acted.”