Eleven

One month later...

I'm sitting under butternut listening to music with my eyes closed when I feel a hand on my leg, opening my eyes I see Jax crouched down in front of me smiling "hey"

I take out my ear buds "what's up?"

"Just had to get away from Summer and Cam" Summer's dating the QB Cam and I seriously am glad because after we made up she felt like she had something to prove, she was nice to me all the time and it was freaky so now that she's dating Cam she barely pays attention to me.

"That must be fun" I joke

"So much fun" he jokes back. "What about you?" Jax sits next to me

"What about me?"

"Have you met a girl? Moved on?"

"I've moved on but I don't think a girl's what's on my mind right now"

"What is on your mind?"

"Getting out of here"

"Hmm" did I say the wrong thing?

"What about you?" I ask "no guy?"

"There's a guy..." He turns away staring at other people

"And?"

"And I like him" why is he being so cagy?

"So what's stopping you from telling him?"

"It's not the right time and I know for a fact he won't feel the same way"

"Can't possibly know that"

"Trust me I do" the bell rings and Jax stands up "I'll see ya" he starts to walk away

"Hey!" I call out to him as I get up, he waits "would you want to hang out later? After work I can pick you up"

"Sure" he smiles and walks back to the school building.

The day pretty much ends after lunch, I got to my last two classes now I'm heading to my car to leave. As I'm walking towards my car I notice Summer standing against it holding something, before I'd probably think the worst of the situation but knowing that we're ok the only thing running through my mind is what could she possibly want from me. "Hey" she smiles as I walk closer

"Hey Summer, what's up?"

"Not much Cam and I are heading to Laguna for the weekend and I wanted to give you this before I left" she hands me a very well gift wrapped box "I know you hate it and never want anyone to know about it but I got you this for your birthday before we broke up, and I won't be here tomorrow to drop it off so here"

She remembered my birthday "thank you Sum" we hug

"You're welcome" we let go "don't open it till tomorrow!"

"I won't"

"Alright well I'm off to Laguna with my hot boyfriend, enjoy your birthday" she starts to walk away

"Enjoy Laguna!" I call out. Setting the box in the back seat with my bag pack I get in my car and drive away. I almost forgot tomorrow was my birthday, I never liked to make a big deal of it and my parents know I don't like to do anything to flashy or big.

I get home. Leaving the gift in the car I walk into my house, my mom is cooking and my dad is watching tv as always "hey sweetie!" My mom calls from the kitchen

"Hey" I drop my stuff and walk to my room.

I lay in my bed enjoying the peace and quiet, until Liv walks in "hey dum dum" she jumps on my bed

"Get out Liv!"

"Why are you so grumpy? Is it because your birthday's tomorrow?" I do my best to ignore her "God! Be a little excited! You're turning 18 tomorrow stupid! Doesn't that mean anything?"

"It means I'm a year older, it's no big deal"

"You suck" she gets off my bed and walks to the door "it's not fair that you're older, can't even enjoy your 18th birthday" she leaves. Yeah I'm going to have a great fucking birthday celebrating with friends that I don't have.

•—•

We all sit at the table eating quietly but of course we can't have that luxury with my mother around "so are you excited for tomorrow?" She looks at me

"So excited" I reply with a straight face and a mouth full of chicken

"Don't be sarcastic to your mother!" My father snaps

"I wasn't being anything! She asked a question and I answered, how is that being sarcastic?" I drop my fork turning to my dad but my phone rings. Taking it out of my pocket I read the text from Jax 'ready' "forget it" I shove my phone back in my pocket "I gotta head out" standing up I grab my plate tossing it in the sink "thank for dinner mom" I leave.

I drive to Jax and pull up to the country club "that was fast" he gets in smiling

"Needed to get away from my parents"

"So you sped here? Hope you didn't run any red lights" I probably did

"No or at least I don't think I did" Jax chuckles. I drive away "so what's the plan? I got a whole Friday night to kill"

"How does a party in Calabasas sounds?"

"Who lives in Calabasas?"

"Shana Teel" I don't get too excited about that, Shana is another one of their friends from school and yes she's kind of the worst "you know Shana throws the best parties"

"Never been to one"

"Really?"

"Yeah, I always told Summer no I wouldn't go so she took you instead"

"Well we're going"

"I don't think so"

"Oh come on Mitch! Who's it going to hurt if you just go?"

"My sanity, and plus there's way better things to do"

"Better than an awesome mansion party in Calabasas? Do you know who lives in Calabasas?"

"People I don't care about."

We get to Jax's house and I park but we sit in the car "please Mitch" he looks at me his eyes big and blue, faint smile hoping I'll say yes "if we get there and you absolutely hate it then we'll leave, I promise"

The intensity in his eyes pierce into mines forcing the words out of me "fine" the corners of his mouth rise

"Yes! You won't regret it!" He gets excited

"I already do"

He opens the car door "come inside, I'm gonna change and we can go" we both leave the car. I stand behind Jax as he unlocks his front door "my parents aren't home, they never are" I follow are he walks around the dark house "come on we're gonna go in my room"

"Oh I can wait out here while you change"

He grins "come on" grabbing my hand pulling me to his room. I've never been inside of Jax's house let alone his room, we walk in and he shuts the door. Standing in the middle of his room I look around, a lot of posters and writings on his light blue walls. There are a bunch of pictures of him and his friends including Summer. His bed untouched, he walks to his closet flipping through a bunch of clothes. He starts to get undressed and I quickly turn the other way pretending I'm looking at his pictures.

As I stare through the pictures I notice a specific one of me and Summer kissing "is that me?" I point

Jax comes closer staring "oh yeah it is"

"When was this? And how come I didn't know you were taking a picture?"

"That was during Summer's pool party a few months ago, and you didn't know about it because you were busy making out with Summer the whole night" he continues to get ready and adds "you guys were a cute couple"

"Yeah were."

After getting ready Jax and I leave "Calabasas here we come" he smiles.