Ten

I decide to go to Summer's house and just get this over with once and for all. Her car's parked out front but not her parents, so I walk in. Walking around I don't see her anywhere, going upstairs I walk to her room and notice the door cracked. Standing at the frame I peek in to find Summer sitting on the floor in front of her bed crying. Arms wrapped around her legs, chin rested on her knees she cries.

I should say something but this is a site I've never seen before, Summer vulnerable, it's shocking really I've never seen her cry. Walking in I finally speak "hey"

She jumps looking up at me "I don't want to fight Mitch" she wipes her tears

"Good I don't want to either" I sit down next to her. We sit there and she continues to cry, laying her head on my shoulder the tears continue to stream down her cheeks. "Why are you crying?"

"Why do you think?"

"I don't know that's why I asked"

She picks her head up from my shoulder "because you hate me" she cries

"I don't hate you Sum"

"Yeah but you don't love me"

"I care about you, I always will"

"Why didn't you give me a chance Mitch?"

"I gave you so many chances Summer, I got tired I couldn't handle who you were anymore"

"Then I would've changed"

"No you wouldn't have, Summer Adams changes for no one, your words"

"You were supposed to be the one Mitch"

"Things change."

We sit there quiet for a bit then Summer turns to me with a smile on her face "remember when we first spoke to each other? Some dweeb dropped my lunch and you handed me yours"

"Then you and your friends laughed at me because I believed you would've taken it"

"Since that day you were the only guy that was genuinely nice to me no matter how much of a bitch I was to every one else"

"Thought you were different"

"We were different"

"Yeah when we were alone, other times you were..."

"A raging bitch?"

"Your words" she laughs then starts to cry again "why did you date me? I wasn't popular, a jock, or anyone you addressed yourself with"

"Because I couldn't be mean to you, no matter how much I tried you were the one person I never wanted to be mean to"

"That's not true"

"It is Mitch I swear! Whenever I was mean to you it was only because I was around people who expected that of me. I never meant it, I never meant to take it this far, far enough for you to not love me anymore"

"You hurt me Summer"

"I know" tears fall from her eyes "and I'm so sorry about the shit that I've been doing, I didn't know how else to get your attention"

"It's fine"

"And I'll pay for the ticket, I promise" this side of Summer is new to me, she's actually taking responsibility this kind of reminds me of the Summer I fell in love with she was able to be herself around me. we continue to sit on the floor beside her bed "we had good times right? I didn't make those up?"

"No we did, in the beginning for a while it was good"

She smiles "I'm happy we talked I needed this"

"Good me too. Summer I want you to find the guy that'll be the one, and when that day comes you'll know that he wasn't me"

"I hope so."

•—•

We spend the rest of the afternoon talking until it was night. As we're laying on her bed talking her phone rings "one sec it's Jax" she gets up answering the call "hey Sweets what's up?" She calls him sweets "yeah I can come pick you up... I'm fine I'll be there soon" she hangs up

"Guess that's my cue" I get up.

We walk outside "we're ok Mitch, I'm not mad anymore"

"Good maybe we can be friends"

"Yeah but I'm still telling people I dumped you" I smile and she hugs me "thank you for this"

"Yeah I'm here if you ever need Sum"

"I know." We get in our cars and go our separate ways. I can't believe what happened, Summer and I hashed it out and we're good. I'm glad I could make her understand and I guess that's all she needed.