Chapter One: A Loss of Respect

                                           "Out of sight; out of mind." –Don Ciro Ferrari

            “I expect the payment due no later than December 15th.” I replied with a cockiness associated with being from a high status family. What can I say, it was genetics. It was in my blood.

            “I’ll be back soon Mr. Russo,” I gave the timid old man a hard pat on the shoulder. I leaned in what looked like a hug to anyone who passed by. In his ear I whispered, “We’re family Russo. Let’s keep it that way.” Another pat, I tipped my hat in farewell.

           There was no real worry. Russo would make that December payment. He was just three days late, no big deal. On the other hand it was a significant concern. Each family owned a part of New York. Ferrari being as powerful as it was owned majority of it. Meaning as a member of the Ferrari Family I have the responsibility to collect “rent” from every business and residence residing in my branch. It’s just a simple payment for the services they receive. Security doesn’t come cheap. Any missed/late deposits gives them a personal from me; Nicholas Ferrari. That missed payment could easily turn into a debt. Thus becomes a liability for the Ferrari Family.

           See once you give people room to make excuses and fall out of structure- you get chaos. With chaos comes more than just last payments; it makes bad business. We can’t have that. By “we” I mean everyone involved in the trade my Father developed as a young man. To prevent that chaos I just mentioned I have to run my branch with an iron fist. That includes giving the people something to worry about. A little fear is good. It gives everyone a rule book to follow, limits and consequences. It works in my favor. With the obedience I receive I get the respect I deserve.

           In Mr. Russo’s case I have many options to consider. He was no threat. He was an old man after all.The little tea shop he ran didn’t make much money nor did it make any gain to the Ferrari Family by owning it. It was tacky in my eyes. Everything in it was old and worn down. Layers of dust coated the tea bags on display. There were rows and rows of shelves of various tea cups for sale that no one bought. The lighting was dim making everything look faded. The only reason I could come up with for us owning this dump was influence. The more you have the better. It didn’t come in one shot. Owning a little here and there added up. Small steps make big progressions as my Father always said. I have to hand it to him; he was right. After all he owned New York and that didn’t come in a package deal.

           Regarding Mr. Russo and his late payment I decided to make an example out of him. That should refresh everyone’s mind about the Ferrari Family power. ; Something small but big enough to leave a mark.

           “Ay Tony!” I called. Tony was a family friend of the Ferrari Family and one of my closest friends. He was part of the Tattaglia Family. His family has been business partners with my Father for generations. That is practically family right there.

           Tony was stationed outside of Mr. Russo’s tea shop: The Big Spout. The cow bell attached to the door announced his entrance. He was the same height as me, a towering six feet. Yet he walked with a smug presence, no awkwardness to it. Tony picked up his head slightly acknowledging me. With the same gesture I directed him to the back of the shop. Mr. Russo was at the front desk by the register. His hands were gripped tightly while he rubbed then over and over. Russo was anxious. Our lingering stay was both suspicious and stressful. Staying as long as we did meant trouble for him. From the shop rear, Tony and I were from ear shot. Out of sight out of mind; another one of Father’s word of wisdom. We were still close enough to see him but he couldn’t get any sight of us.