Chapter Twenty-five

Start from the beginning

Next the extra bedroom. I purposely skipped my parents bedroom. Absolutely nothing had changed so there was not much to take into inventory. The same computer which I was most likely going to sell was still in its place. It was over seven years old after all. Besides that who used desktops like that anymore?

My room at the very end of the hall was the next room. My footsteps were loud now for Danny to hear. So if anything happened to me, he would hear. That and it would make him feel better to know how I was. My room was almost the same. My Grandmother had been here too obviously. She did her best to keep things in order. She even made my bed.

Goodness I had angels down here looking after me.

When there wasn’t anything for me to look at I walked again past my parents room back to Danny. I was going to save that part for later because there were people waiting on me.

“Everybody can come in now,” I said in a face that was supposed to be neutral. 

The night before, after Danny left, I went through everything in my head on what I was going to keep and what I wasn’t. Most of the stuff I wasn’t going to keep I was going to give away. I mean I had to give something to the people that came to help me. 

Danny made a motion with his hand out the front door and soon everyone was in with boxes, markers, tape, and whatever else that was needed to get this done. I didn’t watch too closely because I didn’t think I wanted this to be too real. They already might think I was a little crazy because there were a lot of things I was letting go. 

They all chattered amongst themselves while they folded the boxes into proper boxes. To make room the boxes had to be flattened so they needed to be refolded. It seemed like such a normal thing. A thing that reminded me of high school group projects.

Charles always keeping things light decided to use some of the boxes to make a fort. I managed to laugh a little at that. 

‘This isn’t high school anymore,’ my thoughts churned, ‘its time to grow up.’

I got down on my knees to join them and two of the new kids with us looked at me kind of funny. I ignored them.

“I plan on letting go of a lot of stuff here,” I told them all and they all got quiet, “So if you see something you like please come to me first.”

They all nodded in understanding.

“Oh and I am saving my parents room for last,” I finished.

“We understand,” Heather, always bold, said.

My heart hurt watching this woman in front of me that was in her last trimester standing in front of me. I couldn’t thank her enough.

Once the boxes were all set up it was time to label. These boxes were actually for them to take what they wanted with them. At first they were all apprehensive about taking anything but I kept insisting. The two new kids were the first to break as they said they weren’t looking for anything major.

Eventually one by one they all agreed to have at least one item.

We started with the living room and that was a lot and more hesitation from everyone. 

“If I plan to live here alone-”

“-Ahem,” came from Daniel.

“You know what I mean,” I told him also knowing what he meant then continued, “It would just be creepy to hold on to all of this. I have to change and this place needs to change too. Believe me I thought this all through. Over and over again.” I let my hands fall to my sides which slapped my thighs at the same time.