Another Petectives Interview

Yoshi and Gatsby have also been interviewed by Rocco the tuxedo cat. Rocco's a cool cat who does lots of interviews on his blog. "Cats, Books, and ...More Cats!" (http://catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com/}

Here's how it went:

Meow! Today my guests are Yoshi and Gatsby, the cat detective stars of the Petectives series. Yoshi and Gatsby have three published adventures: Petectives, Petectives: Christmas Party and Petectives: Under Fire. All of these are collected in True Petectives: A Yoshi and Gatsby Omnibus.

Rocco: What's up fellas?

Gatsby: Hey, Rocco!

Yoshi: Good day.

Rocco: Can you tell us a bit about yourselves?

Yoshi: I'm a black cat who likes to spend time educating myself in literature, fine arts and the science of criminology.

Gatsby: But mostly he enjoys taking naps.

Rocco: How about you, Gatsby?

Gatsby: Well I'm an incredibly brave, good looking orange cat. My people picked me up at a pet shelter when I was four months old.

Rocco: You were a shelter cat? I was a shelter cat!

Gatsby: I knew that there was something that I liked about you.

Yoshi: Can we get back to the interview?

Gatsby: Don't mind him; he was bought at a pet shop.

Rocco: He does have a point. Let's get to a typical interview question: Why did you guys decide to be detectives?

Yoshi: We both find the life of a housecat to be a bit mundane and find that detective work provides a stimulating distraction. The animals of the neighborhood come to us with a variety of problems related to crime and we do what we can to help.

Gatsby: We? I go out and do all the footwork while he sits in the house all day and sleeps. I mean "thinks".

Yoshi: "Footwork"? I believe that the word that you're looking for is "legwork".

Rocco: Actually, I would think that the word that you're both looking for is "pawwork".

Gatsby: Ha! Well played Rocco!

Rocco: Thanks. What kinds of crimes do guys investigate?

Gatsby: Seems like anything can happen in our neighborhood. One time we were hired to track down a missing show cat which somehow led us to us uncovering a dogfighting ring. Last Christmas we had to figure out who was trying to kill an obnoxious dog. And then this past summer we were hired to clear an innocent dog of a charge of assault while at the same time shutting down a protection racket.

Rocco: Whew. It sounds like you guys keep yourselves busy.

Gatsby: Does it sound interesting to you? I'm looking into setting up cat detective agency franchises across the country. Are you interested? We could make a killing!

Rocco: No thanks, I think I'll stick with blogging.

Just for fun:

Rocco: Cat or Dog (think carefully)

Gatsby: You're kidding, right?

Rocco: Night or Day?

Gatsby: Night

Yoshi: Day

Gatsby: Wait a minute. Yoshi, you sleep all day. What difference does it make to you?

Yoshi: During the day, our people are at work and school. I have the house to myself. I can read, listen to music, collect my thoughts -

Gatsby: But mostly sleep.

Rocco: Favorite book?

Yoshi: I'd better take this one. The last book Gatsby got through was 'Fun with Dick and Jane'.

Rocco: That's actually pretty impressive for a cat.

Gatsby: Thank you Rocco. Us shelter cats need to stick together.

Yoshi: Whatever. It's hard for me to pick out a favorite book but anything by Rex Stout or Agatha Christie.

Rocco: Favorite TV show?

Yoshi: I prefer a good book.

Gatsby: I love 'My Cat from Hell'! It's the best written comedy on television!

Yoshi: I don't believe that show is intended to be funny.

Gatsby: What? Oh. Never mind

Rocco: Steak or Salad?

Yoshi and Gatsby: Steak!

Rocco: Well, I think you guys have taken up enough of my time. Thanks.

Yoshi and Gatsby: Thanks, Rocco!