21 - The Rainbow at the End of the Road (END)

This is the Final chapter of the first book, since the story will change style after this I felt there is no reason to go on as the story here.  The second book has been posted as a template titled "Mother" You can see the cover and summery on my profile.  Please, if you enjoyed this book, add the sequel to your read list!  I won't start writing on book two right away, but I'm going to put up the book now for everyone to follow :)

-December 26 North Pacific Ocean-

I sit on the outside railing to the ferry, looking out into the frozen wasteland that surrounds me.  Ice mingles in the ocean as Alaska, the hellish place that it is, slowly draws away.  Six days on a boat heading south, here we go.  I rub my neck, sore.  Everything’s so sore.  I’m not sure what happened.  One second I had Clare on the bed under me and she was enjoying every moment, next six hours had passed and I was sleeping in the bed under the covers with seemingly everything hurting.   I can’t remember a damn thing.

I slide my bare hands across the icy railing as if that ice is going to sooth my entire body.  It doesn’t. Clare and Lil are both inside; they have absolutely no interest in the cold or watching as the coastline fades away.  The same question floats by my head again and again, now what?  Can I really go back to my life in California after all this? Can everything really return back to normal?  Have I seen too much?  Have I been involved in too much? 

I rub my neck where it hurts the most, the spot’s been red for the past two days and it’s swollen up a bit like a mosquito bit me.  Is that really possible?  A winter mosquito.  Doubt it.  Now what?  I turn around to head back inside.  The ship’s captain said it’ll take about six days to travel down to San Francisco.  I’m still surprised ships like these still exist, and in the winter too?  I guess there will always be a demand to transport cars north without taking the conventional two to three day drive through Canada.

This particular ship is actually quite full on the inside, I’d say about half of the cabin seats are full and from what Clare found out most of the private rooms too.We got three chairs near the middle of the boat, apparently Clare’s bottomless pit of cash has its limits and we couldn’t afford to get a private room.  Maybe with people around we can return to some type of normality, at least for a little while.

I look at our row at least the seats have a lot of space; this ship plans for the long trips and doesn’t stick people in packed bus or airplane style rows.  Each chair here is quite large and can lean back most of the way to turn into a bed.  Clare is there with her eyes closed in the middle seat with it reclined almost all the way back, it has truly been an exhausting adventure.

I’m glad it’s finally over.  That everything is finally over.  No more adventures for me.  Lil isn’t there with Clare.  Why would she be?  I walk down the center isle and past our row, in the front there’s a cafeteria, with my luck I’ll find Lil there.  She’s been even more quiet than normal for the last two days.  Marry fucking Christmas.  Speaking of that, we still have decorations all over the boat, streamers, reefs, and a little robotic Santa Clause up by the hall to the Cafeteria and snack shop.  Nothing like a bit of holiday cheer to pull us all out of the damn pit we’ve been in.

I pass our little robotic friend and get to a closed door, there’s a small port hole and on the other side there’s an empty buffet line followed by about a hundred or two tables with chairs around them.  No food is out yet, we’ve only just left port.  I can see this place getting pretty busy in a few hours; I guess everyone going home after the holiday makes for a busy day.

I enter, walk past the buffet counter, and look around.  Right at the very back, or should I say very front, Lil is sitting at a table staring out of a small bit of glass she’s cleared the fog off.  She has her hair down over her shoulders and looks to be wearing that same black sweatshirt she had the first day I picked her up, come to think of it the poor girl is just like me with not having much at all to wear.  I approach above her, and wipe away my own little peak hole.  A deck or two below us is the bow of the boat and the boat is moving very slowly, smashing up ice in its path.  Every once in a while we hit a large bit and it feels like the boat vibrates with the impact, something I couldn’t feel at the back of the boat.