31 • Birthday party

About 5 months later
Scott's pov:

"Happy Birthday, Emma!" I exclaims as I come through the door with a small pink bag in hand.

I kiss her cheek contently and pass her the gift.

"Hey, Allison. Hi, Max." I greet the pair, who are sitting at the dining room table.

"Hey. Thanks for coming. Help yourself to drinks and stuff. Your mom, Sheriff Stilinski, Lydia's mom, and my parents should be here any minute, and Lydia, Stiles, Isaac, Danny, Ethan, and Aiden will be a bit late because of their flights and stuff. Just make yourself at home." Allison informs me.

I nod and grab a Root Beer, standing around the kitchen aimlessly.

"I forgot to check the mail. Emma, do you wanna come?" He asks.

"Yeah."

"Okay, be back in a few minutes." Max informs us, grabbing Emma's hand and leaving the apartment.

Allison stands beside me at the kitchen counter and sighs.

"I can't believe she's three already."

"I know. It's feels like she was just a tiny baby yesterday." I reply.

Two years earlier

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, dear Emma. Happy birthday to you!" Everyone sang as I placed a chocolate cake with one purple candle, in front of our daughter who was happily sat in her high chair.

Allison and I assisted her with blowing the candle out, and we kissed either of her cheeks at the same time.

Allison sliced a small piece of cake and placed it on a paper plate before passing it to Emma. She made a mess, spreading it on her face, and squishing it on her plate, which made everyone laugh.

I hugged Allison from behind, kissing her cheek softly. She grabbed my wrist gently and smiled.

"It's been a year already."

"I know. It's crazy, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it is. I love you."

"I love you too." I replied, spinning her around and planting a quick kiss on her lips.

•••

"Everything was so different then." Allison whispers, turning to face me.

"Maybe they don't have to be different anymore." I replied as she placed her hand on my cheek.

Our noses touched, and our lips were hovering centimetres away from each other.

"No, we... We can't." I whisper, pulling away.

"Oh, yeah, you're... you're right." She stuttered, awkwardly looking away.

"It was just the emotions, right?"

"Yeah, of course. Just the emotions. Nothing else." She reassured me.

Just then, Max and Emma returned. Allison and I put on a fake grins, and pretended nothing was wrong, going back to how it was before.