8 • Who knew?

Allison's pov:

"Why do you seem so happy today? I mean, you're always happy but today you're being... overly happy." Lydia questions as we walk down the hallway.

"Hmm? Oh- I uh- I'm not overly happy for any reason." I lie.

"Oh my gosh. You're not a virgin anymore, are you?"

"Lydia! Be quiet!" I yell, blushing uncontrollably. How did she always know exactly what was happening in my life?

"Ali! Awh that means you really like Scott." She smiles, knowing that I was waiting for the right person to come around.

"I think I'm falling for him. Which is a major issue because my parents hate him! Hate him, Lydia! Their opinion is really important to me. Plus, we're so different. He always wants to go to parties, but I'd rather stay at home with him and watch movies in our pyjamas. What was I thinking, getting into this relationship? We're so different." I sigh.

"Allison, those are minor details. Your parents will come around."

"They're not minor details for me. My parents are so stubborn."

"It's gone be fine."

"Oh, did I forget to mention that all of his friends hate me?"

"Oh, Ali. It's just because they want to get in your pants but they can't. Consider yourself lucky that you're off their radar. Just have a mature conversation with Scott later." She suggests.

"Okay. Thanks, Lyds. I'll see you later, I have to go to math."

•After school•

"Scott! Can we talk?" I ask as I spot him saying goodbye to Stiles. I jog up to the two boys and enter their conversation.

"Hi, Allison." Stiles smiles slightly.

"Hey, Stiles."

"Well, I better get going. See you guys tomorrow." Stiles says, leaving the group and heading towards his blue Jeep.

"What's up?" Scott asks, turning to me.

"I don't know. I just think that maybe this isn't... Gonna work out."

"What are you talking about? We're perfect for each other."

"It's not about us. It's about the people around us-"

"Oh no. Not this again. I don't care what people think about you, Allison!"

"It's not about that. It's about the people we're close to. My parents, your friends. Barely any of your friends actually talk to me when you're not around- with the exception of Danny and sometimes Ethan. All I have in this school is you and Lydia. That's it."

"That's not true. Stiles likes you."

"That's only because he has a huge crush on my best friend."

"Allison, you don't get it. You think people don't like you, but they do! You have me, Lydia, Danny, Ethan and Stiles. Isaac doesn't mind you either. Is that not enough for you?"

"I never said that! Maybe you don't get it! My parents basically hate you and they are the most important people in my life! Whatever, I have to go." I yell, fumbling through my purse, trying to find my car keys.

"So your parents hate me! You think I like that either? I don't. But, I'm willing to work on that because you're worth it, Allison. You're worth everything!"

Without a word, I find my keys and turn in the direction of the school parking lot. I rush to my car, leaving Scott standing alone in complete silence with the crisp winter breeze filling the air.

•A few days later•

I arrive at Scott's house around 5:30 on Thursday evening. The time I know his mom isn't around. I knock on the door after days of avoiding him. The door swings open and he looks at me in shock.

"Allison? Come in."

I was sure not to wear any mascara because I knew this wasn't going to be easy.

"Would you like something to drink? Water, hot chocolate, coffee?" He offers as I sit on a chair in the living room.

"No, thank you."

He takes a seat across from me and I take a deep breath before the words I had been holding in for so long flow out of me.

"You're fully aware that the odds are against us. You're also aware that I've never done anything like this. I just want to say thank you for being an actual human being and not a total douche about me-"

"What are you doing?" He asks.

"Scott, I'm breaking up with you. One day, the odds are going to turn completely against us but we're gonna be so in love that we can't turn away. We're gonna be miserable. I can't do that to you. So please, let me walk away before I change my mind. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Thank you for showing me what true love feels like." I say, tears pouring down my cheeks.

"No-"

"Scott, please. Let me go. I'm sorry." I manage to choke out between sobs.

He doesn't say anything as I rush to the door and slip my sneakers on, not bothering to tie the laces. As I reach for the door handle, I wait for him to call my name, give me a reason I shouldn't go and kiss me, but that doesn't happen. I wipe away a few tears and leave the house, catching a quick glimpse of Scott crying in the living room window. I quickly turn away, not wishing to see the pain on his face. I didn't do this to break his heart, I did it to prevent our hearts from being even more broken in the future.

~

"Just because I let you go, doesn't mean I wanted to."

~

My afternoon is spent in my bed, with a box of tissues and a tub of ice cream. Who knew that you could break your own heart? That's what I had done, and trust me, it is fully possible.

Author's note:

I'm so sorry, you guys! Looks like the pressure of friends and family not approving took a toll on Allison. What do you think is gonna happen? Thank you all for reading!