Chapter 6

So I tried to make the chapters longer again. Please enjoy.

SONG - BAD BOYS - ZARA LARSSON

By some stroke of luck, the very next day was Saturday. I was in no shape to go back to that darned office building within the next forty eight hours or more. Not until the invested in some proper security first.

Plus my body was exhausted due to the rowdy incidents that had taken place during the week.

I slept in until I was woken up by a knock on the door. It was Henry. He was dressed in his jogging gear and had a duffle bag slung over his shoulder.

"I'm gonna head over to my place so that my parents don't get a coronary for not seeing me for an entire week," He explained.

I took in the information rubbing my sleep filled eyes "Oh ok."

"Yeah, at this rate I'm sure they'll ground me once I get home." I snorted at his words. "Maybe you should move out of your parents' house dude. I mean it's not like you can't afford it. Less likelihood of them getting all up in your business."

Henry laughed "Yeah. Gonna be thirty in a few years. It must sound pretty sad that I'm living right out of my parent's basement." Right. His situation would never be as pathetic as that. His family just had this nauseating thing about 'keeping the family together 'like they lived in some monarchial dynasty or so they thought in their hoity toity little minds. Ok that was too mean even by my standards. Perhaps because I didn't grow up in such a big family, I didn't understand well enough.

It had only been Mom, Willy and I. We were close but out mother wasn't the type to try and keep us tied to the nest. I always got the sense that she wanted to but didn't want to distract us from our own lives.

'You have to find and make your own adventures," She would say. My adventures incidentally always ended up revolving around her and Willy and no one else.

Our father and his whereabouts was a subject sent far into the bowels of the unknown since we had never known him and Mom had refused to divulge anything about. She simply didn't talk about it. To her, she was all we needed. Once during my teenage years, I pestered her intensely until she exposed something vague. It was along the lines of 'I trusted the wrong man and paid dearly for it.' Nothing was ever divulged again.

My mother had a habit of keeping secrets from us.

That was one trait dominant in her. She was a tight lipped vault of so many mysteries. Once it got in, it never got out. What aided her was her persistence. It ensured that her secrets never got out. If my mother set her mind on something, she didn't let the task go.

Perhaps the apple didn't fall far from the tree. The memory of the detective's visit lingered subconsciously. Maybe Willy had taken a few paged from her book. Probable theory.