Chapter two

I put my bike on the side of the house and walked inside. "Im Home!" I called out. Nobody answered. I walked into the kitchen and saw a note on the counter.

Went to the store. Be back soon

Love, Aunt Jane

I shrugged and set the note back down. I walked into the living room and took out my homework. I tried working on it for a while but for some strange reason I couldnt get Joey Richter out of my head. This was going to be a long night.

__________________________________________________________________________________

I woke up the next morning and got up, getting dressed in:

http://www.polyvore.com/untitled_65/set?id=36855844

I brushed my hair and put it up, in a sloppy but nice bun. Then I grabbed my bag and went downstairs into the kitchen.

"Mornin' Katniss." Aunt Jane said as she placed a bowl of cereal on the table for me. I smiled and sat down.

"Good Morning Aunt Jane." I said and took a bite of my special K.

"So, how did you sleep?" she asked, sitting down across from me with her own bowl of cereal.

"Good." I said. Truth was I didnt sleep as much as usual last night. I had laid away for almost a whole hour just wondering why Joey had choosen to talk to me.

"Thats good, dear. Do you want a ride to school today?" she asked. I looked at the clock. I still had a while before classes were going to start.

"No, thats okay, I think I'll walk today." I said and she nodded.

"Alright, well I have some earands to run so I have to go. See you after school dear." she said and gave me a kiss on the forhead, grabbing her purse and walking out. I finished my breakfast then brushed my teeth.

I slung my bag over my shoulders and left, walking down the road. I got to school and went to my locker. I got my books and put them in my bag then looked at my watch. 5 minutes before class starts.

I walked towards the math class, passing people on their way to their lockers.

"Kat! Hey Kat!" I heard somebody yelling behind me. I kept walking. Wonder who Kat was.

"Kat!" I heard again but this time it was right behind me. Somebody grabbed my shoulder and I turned around.

"Hey Kat." Joey said.

I looked around then turned back to him, confused. "Kat?" I asked. He turned a bit red.

"Oh, uh, sorry, its just your names Katniss so I though Kat was a good nickname I guess..." he said, scratching the back of his neck in that cute way guys did, as we began walking again.

"Oh...ok." I said. His usual goofy grin appeared on his face.

"So, re-think going to the football game yet?" he asked.

"1) No, I told you Im not a football kind of girl and 2) Why are you talking to me again?" I said.

He looked confused "Cause we're friends right?" he said. Before I could answer though he looked at his watch and swore under his breath. "I got to go! I have World Culture all the way across school! Talk to you later Kat!" he said, hurrying off. I stood, there, stunned.

Friends. Me and Joey...friends? I've never had a friend before.... The thought actually gave me a small smile. I had a friend.