8 // Set Fire To The Third Bar

Hey, it's been exactly a month since I last updated, so have another chapter! This one is pretty lame, basically a filler. But- good news! Since it is completely impossible for me to write 11 chapters of a proper, good story, I looked up Eyes Open bonus track and planned out three more chapters that will really give this story a better ending. So this will have 14 chapters for sure now. Anyways, enjoy this. And, sorry, one last thing. The next chapter is going to be absolutely amazing so don't be too upset with this chapter because it's a crappy filler.

------

// i pray that something picks me up

// and sets me down in your warm arms

-------

The next Monday, Jack felt fairly numb and quite shocked. His life kept going far up and far down and far up again, and he felt like this up would never ever end. What he didn't know is that this "up" would be brought back to earth far too soon. 

He had kissed Alexander Gaskarth. What he had first thought was some sort of crush had turned into full-fledged love, no matter how young or dumb it was. Jack and Rian were in math class, pretending to do a worksheet to convince the sub that they were actually trying to do some work, and talking to each other under their breaths. Rian had been going on and on about Cassadee, talking about how he hadn't realized how great she was and that he really just hadn't realized how great she was. Jack was happy about everything at that moment and smiled while nodding along to Rian's spiel, only half listening. In the middle of one of Rian's sentences, Jack interrupted him.

"I kissed Alex." Rian was still talking about Cassadee and took about ten long seconds to process the information he had just been given. Jack could have counted up to "ten Mississippi" before Rian blinked and turned to stare at Jack. 

"You what?"

"I kissed him. That night at your house. In the backyard. He's a good kisser, come to think of it." Jack had been thinking about it for three days straight and had only come to the "good kisser" conclusion about five minutes after they had actually kissed.

"You guys kissed?" Rian was still taking the time to process the information he had just been given.

"Yes."

"Whoa! Whoa! Wow! Okay, what? How did this happen? Explain." Rian had raised his voice and had received a poisonous glare from the sub. Jack glanced at his paper and scrawled down a few division symbols, some radicals, and an improvised version of the Angels & Airwaves logo.

"Okay. Okay. Okay, so. We went outside because those people your mom invited are snobs and don't talk about anything of interest. And it was hot. So we went outside and talked and I don't know, we just kissed." Jack spoke in a whisper, not wanting to get in trouble with their sub. The subs at their high school were treated with an utmost respect, simply because all of them wrote letters to the regular teachers regarding the behavior of their students. And the teachers sure as hell read those notes.  Rian looked enthralled with Jack's tale, and leaned in. 

"Are you guys... like a thing?" That question made Jack slightly uncomfortable because he kind of did want to be part of a thing with Alex. But the thing was, Alex probably didn't want to be part of a thing with Jack, and Jack didn't like to dwell on that. He was depressing himself at this point, realizing that the kiss had probably been a one-time thing and that Alex would probably be fairly embarrassed to realize that Rian now knew about this. Jack shrugged, unknowingly looking slightly embarrassed himself.

"Do you like..." Rian trailed off, shaking his head. "It's like we're in middle school all over again. Do you like him like that?" Jack twisted up his face a bit, tearing at the skin on his chapped lips.