3 // Chasing Cars

Hello! So before I post Chapter 4, I've gotta make Chapter 4 is totally ready to go because it's an important chapter, and I need to finish Chapter 7. And Chapter 7 might take a while because it's kind of stupid but it has to happen and I will manage to figure it out. So just a warning: the next chapter might take a while.

-------

// forget what we're told

// before we get too old

-------

"What if you stuck your dick through a donut?"

"I'm sure someone's already done that."

"Of course, why wouldn't someone? Have you?"

"No, no I haven't. Why, have you?"

"No, Alex, have you?"

"No." Alex, Jack, and Rian were sitting at a picnic table in Rian's backyard, decorating donuts. Jack had brought up the topic of dicks in donuts, which neither Alex nor Rian were too keen to discuss. Since the three of them were smart young men, they were using brittle play-doh molds to make cool icing designs for their donuts. Alex had suggested that they clean off the molds before they molded the icing onto them, and in the process had realized that he wanted some play-doh very badly. Jack was trying to trace dicks on every donut with blue icing, while Alex was absentmindedly eating everything and wishing they had proper play-doh to use. Rian was a perfectionist, and was drawing up award-worthy art on the formerly plain donuts. After their decorating session had dragged on for far too long, Rian's mom appeared.

"Boys! Oh, you did so much work!" Rian panicked, giving the donuts that Jack had been working on a murderous look. All three of them knew that they were in trouble, and Jack grabbed a zig-zag print mold and slammed it into the donuts with a reasonable amount of violence and urgency. Rian's mom looked at Jack with concern in her eyes, eyes that had lost their sharp vision and couldn't see the messily drawn dicks on her donuts.

"You can take a break, I think we have enough at this point. Thank you!" She said, smiling at them with overwhelming brightness radiating off of her. Rian's whole family had freakishly bright smiles and auras of complete euphoria. As Rian's mom took the tray of donuts back inside, Alex finally spoke what was on his mind.

"I really want some play doh."

-------

Alex felt strange. He was walking home with his arms in a stiff, awkward position but his heart felt so incredibly light. Play-doh and paint was splattered all over his t-shirt and jeans, causing his shirt to stiffen up to result in his arms being held in the strange position. Along with his arms feeling strange, he himself just felt... weird. Weird in a good way, he supposed. There wasn't another word for it, and he was shocked to place it as "wanted." That's it, he felt wanted. Not special really, not needed by a long shot, but wanted. Jack and Rian didn't even know about the thing, but Alex wasn't sure how they would treat him if they knew. It would be as if their words would suddenly become babied and soft, and any edge to their voices would be lost. Alex was relishing the way he was being treated, like a normal human being. The only person who had ever really treated him like a friend was Tom, and Alex didn't retaliate with any affection.

Stumbling across the front lawn that was appealingly streaked with the gold and russet leaves of autumn, Alex thought about what he was going to tell Miss Beatrice Emilia Lodonson that day. Opening the door to his house, he wondered if he liked Jack. "Like," in the way that he would want to spend more time with him, to throw paint balloons at him more often. Alex's thoughts were cut off by the high pitched sound of his mother's voice.