Emma

Hi, so I'm just going to get to the point here and be really, really blunt. Everything you know is wrong.

There I said it.

But let me explain myself. Your parents ever tell you vampires don't exist? That werewolves are just a myth? Well they're wrong.

Don't believe me? Wondering how on earth I could possibly know? Well as dumb and cliche as this is going to sound, one of my best friends is a vampire and I am in love with a werewolf. You can imagine how much trouble this caused... Werewolves and vampires don't exactly get along... Old hatred burned into the very blood of their descendants.

I'm sure you're absolutely riveted now... Either way this is my story, my story of discovering who I truly am. It all takes place in the small town of Forks.

I was born on the streets, I don't know who my parents were, and I don't think that I ever will. All I know is that a few hours after my birth I was found by a man named Billy Black. He took me back to his home in La Push and convinced the woman who would become my mother, Allison Uley, to take me in. Her husband Joshua had recently disappeared, leaving her and their young son Sam to fend for themselves. But in her grief, Allison found the courage to take me into her family and love me as if I was her own daughter.

Allison named me Emma Yaha Uley, and it was then that I became part of the Quileute Tribe. Sam became my brother, my protector and my best friend. We did everything together, and the other boys took me under their wing. Sam's friends namely Jared, Paul and Seth began referring to me affectionately as 'pale skin'.

When Sam wasn't around, I spent most of my time around Jacob Black, the youngest child of Billy Black. We would wander down by the shore and skip rocks or hang around in the forest searching for any signs of wolves that were known to traps through the area.

When we got older, I begged Allison to allow me to attend Forks High School. Though I loved living on the reserve I had well, no female friends. Most of the kids my age were male, and unfortunately I didn't get along very well with the few other girls on the reserve, specifically Leah Clearwater. Leah liked Sam for a long time, ever since we were very young, and she didn't appreciate Sam's little sister tagging along.

Sam was not very happy about my wanting to leave the reserve but he agreed that if I wanted to make friends outside of the Tribe, this was the best way. He came with me when I talked to our mother, and I'm pretty sure he's a big part of the reason why she finally agreed that I would enrol at the beginning of tenth grade.

My first day was absolutely terrifying. It was strange to be among the 'pale skins' when so much of my life was spent on the reserve. I didn't really make any friends that day. One girl in my math class with dark brown hair cut in the pixie style introduced herself as Alice Cullen. We didn't get to talk much, because most of the school's attention was focused on tragic news that affected our police sheriff specifically.

Sheriff Charlie Swan had received the news only a week prior that his daughter Isabella and his ex-wife Renee had been killed in a plane accident. The town, as small as it is was shaken by this news and there was already talk amongst the parents about doing all they could for the grief stricken Sheriff.

Three months later, after the last bell of the week, I'm pushed out the doors by a wave of students and I begin quickly descending the stone steps towards the parking lot. I stop in my tracks when I see Jacob Black leaning against a black and silver motorbike, grinning like a child on Christmas.

Shaking my head slightly, I descend the last few steps and walked slowly towards him. "Hey Jake," I greet him stopping beside the bike.

"Hey Em," he replies and he surprises me by wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me into a tight hug.