Part 6

As the glittering door widened and my knobbly knees took a few steps forward, that's when I thought I had drowned in my own pool of complete craziness. The scary thing was, the feeling wasn't abnormal. I was stood firmly on the ground of broken heather coloured shells. They crunched beneath my feet like broken bones, the extra sharp pieces spiking painfully. I knew at that moment, I had entered a whole new land.

The sky shone what felt like a deeper shade of azure blue over the strong horizon. A light sprinkling of lukewarm rain tumbled down from the light above me and spattered onto my cheeks. I was simply mesmerised by my other worldly surroundings. Chiffon pink trees' towered as higher than what I thought to be possible. Some with different coloured doors engraved into the trunks with great canopy bridges. They were suspended over crystal rivers infested with what looked like ferocious vampires bobbing in the waves.

Mystical mountain peeks were standing proudly in their spots behind the array of huge plant life. They appeared smoky and drenched a pool of icy water, jagged and badly structured. But all of this beautiful scenery was nothing compared to what stood right in front of me. Standing gold and rightfully in its position, a stunning palace with too many turrets to count. It was surrounded by a massive circle of houses which didn't look nearly as interesting as the golden structure.

Red snapped his fingers again, thick silver chains closed in on my hands. I felt like he was trying to keep hold me hostage. Was this all a big setup?

'Stick tight too me, Serena. The inhabitants here will speak in all manners of ways to try and lure you away from this place. It's important you resist whatever they may tell you. They will be set free to you in half an hour.' Nerves crept over me. Were all of the occupants here monsters?

'Is that why you've chained me?' I asked bluntly, expressing to Red that I did actually notice what he had my wrists clasped in.

'No,' he replied unsurely. 'That's for something else. Lark Umbra won't tolerate new arrivals to be let loose until he's inspected them.' I nodded respectively. I felt it was best not to argue, after all, he had more power over me at this point. 'Hands out!' Red then commanded.

'What for?' I asked him cautiously. He didn't reply. He tugged on my left cuffed hand which only dragged over my right one. Before I knew it he had put one of his hands over mine. Somehow, he had unveiled the deep spirals that sent sparks from my palms. The great medieval door concealing the circle of old houses had unlocked. How did Red do that? He just did something I had never succeeded in doing before. Controlling my magic.

'How did you do that?' I asked promptly as we entered the large circle. Red looked at me with confusion.

'What do you mean, Serena? Everyone knows how to control their magic here. I just happened to discover that you will be under my instruction once you've been sent to your element.'

'Really, and what's that?'

'Fire,' replied Red. 'You, Serena Pavock, belong to the red element. My element. Your powers are defined based on how you truly feel.' I looked at him in a puzzled manner. 'For example, I was never accepted by my family. They angered me really easily, and then I felt a burst of energy rise slowly in my hands. Sparks flew here and there, and before I knew it, I had created a ball of fire. Can you think of any reason why you're part of the fire element? Before you came here, did your family fully accept you?' I thought about this...very carefully. I always "liked" my family I guess. But we had a lot of outbursts. Constant screaming and hitting. Things got pretty out of hand a lot of the time. Okay, I guess I don't "like" them as much as I'd like to. So that's why I'm part of the fire element!

Red guided me to the circle centre where the semi-attached houses met its end. A huge entrance stood before me. It was the gigantic golden archway that lead me to the elaborate construction on the interior.