Chapter 18 - Our Troubles Will Be....

Chapter 18 – Our Troubles Will Be….

The first three definitions in the dictionary of family begin with the words, "a group." This, I think, is funny because it couldn't be further from the truth. I wouldn't ever want to be grouped with my family on any occasion, even holidays. They are religious zealots and I am gay, what else do I need to say.

***

Hilary, Colby's mother, stirred from her sleep. Her head felt a sharp rush of pain and a morning migraine took over. Sensitive to the light, her eyelids slapped shut. Hilary rolled over the sheets moving with her. It took the mother a moment to realize that she was not alone in the room. Colby sat next to the bed, eyeing her mom's every movement. After a few moments Hilary gained some composure and reached out to hold her child's hand.

"Hello dear," the memories from the previous night was fuzzy. "Did I make a fool of myself?"

"Yes you did," Colby stated frankly.

"I'm sorry dear," Hilary replied patting her daughter's hand.

"It's okay; it is a disease, an illness you can't control. That's why dad and I have called Riverside. They will have your room set up by the time we get there. They have also called your sponsor, remember Faye?"

"Colby, it is Christmas," Hilary objected. She lifted herself up to her elbows and looked at her daughter.

"And last night, you passed out drunk." Colby replied. "I packed your bags; dad is cooking breakfast before we leave. It will take a while to drive there but traffic should be light."

"Colby, dear, what about presents and Christmas dinner, I mean this isn't that big a deal. I am fine; I promise I won't drink at all today." Hilary winced and rubbed her forehead.

"What about tomorrow, and the next day?" Colby argued. She walked over to a packed suitcase.

"Well, I am not going to stop drinking entirely that is insane." Hilary retorted.

"Dad told me, that this happens at least twice a week. He started going to bed early to avoid your drunken rages. Dad might be too afraid to fight you on this but I'm not…mom please…please do this for me." Colby walked to her mother's side and held her hand.

"Fine, I will go, but what about Ben?" Hilary replied begrudgingly.

"He is sorted." Colby smiled, happy her mother agreed.

***

Colby watched her mom and dad pile into the car from the front door. She turned to Ben and gave a wry smile. The house was emptier now, devoid of life except for those two. The cooking and baking which would take place during Christmas day to prepare for the feast couldn't be seen. No smells drifted from the kitchen or scurries from the rooms down the halls. The tree was vacant and no gifts were given.

"I am so sorry we have to leave you, I mean…it's a family matter." Colby explained.

"I know, I understand. You should go, I will just crash with Gwen. She celebrates Christmas too, right? In addition to Chanukah?" Ben inquired. He noticed Colby's eyes dart back to the car. She wanted to get going.

"Yeah, do that," Colby nodded. "I got to go…sorry again," Colby put a hand on Ben's shoulder. "Merry Christmas Ben," She dropped her hand and walked out the door to the car.

"Merry Christmas Colby," Ben shut the door behind him, locking it with the house key he was given.

The brunette waved off the car and turned up the hill. Gwen lived a few houses up. He stopped at a two story house. A white birdbath was a new addition to the house. The vines of ivy crept up the side were the same and Ben could spot Gwen's bedroom window on the second story.