Chapter 12 - The Secrets We Keep

We all have those dirty little secrets. The ones we don't want people to see, the kind we hide under our mattress, in our selves, or the back of our closets. They are the secrets that when we play truth or dare, we lie on truth. Okay, it's not like I killed someone and stuffed them somewhere, but a certain sense of morality is needed. I feel like if I lose that I will lose respect, thus my secrets stay in the closet; unless, of course, I come out…of the closet.

***

"I want you to know, I chose you. I picked you. I love you. I just, want you to know that I am so thankful for you being so patient and waiting for what took me so long to see. I just wanted to say thank you…and I love you" Ben said. His eyes blinked and he stared at the person across from him. He stood in his bathroom and looked in the mirror.

"Ready for work, how is your 'deal with it' deal going?" Colby inquired leaning in the open bathroom door.

"I am dealing with the 'deal with it' deal." Ben smiled. "I'm confident, I'm empowered, and I'm Ben."

"Oh god, he is empowered," Gwen mocked and threw a hand up into the air. "Let's just go to work and make money. That's why we are here right? To live our dreams,"

"Speaking of money Gwen, I was looking through our home." Colby tried to sugarcoat it. She placed her fingertips together.

"You went through my room?" Gwen gasped brandishing her apartment key. "You touched my things."

"No, I wouldn't do that." Colby smiled, but it vanished in a second. "Natalie did. She left it out; she put all our finance information in a shoebox in a drawer. She even did the math." Colby explained pointing towards the drawer with a stack of neatly ordered magazines above it. "I don't know when that woman found the time to do these things." Colby muttered. "Anyway, I looked through it and I'm curious, because you have been getting a lot more money on your paychecks recently."

"Yeah, I got promoted to manager, what's the problem with that." Gwen frowned.

"The problem with it is you have only been bringing as much as you used to make into the house. We are all in this together and I am curious why or what you are spending the money on." Colby pointed out.

"You know what; I am not going to talk about this with you. I have too many other things I need to deal with. Plus, it's my money." Gwen turned and left.

"She is keeping something from us," Colby turned to Ben.

"I know, but what? What could Gwen want to hide from us?" Ben put his hand to his chin.

***

Ben took the tube with his friends and got off at the correct stop. The world seemed brighter today now that he had a more positive outlook. The sky shown a brilliant blue and the sun cast rays of light across London. A crisp cold covered the land, but it didn't matter to Ben. He had his jacket and his confidence that was all he needed to keep warm.

"Ben, is that you?" Barkley asked when he walked into the office. "Nice haircut, listen, I was wondering if you wanted to be on television today."

"What? Why?" Ben questioned wide eyed.

"Well, we are interviewing this actor from that teen drama Hillside, very popular right now. Your haircut is nice. You are glowing today. You've edited all the interviews; you know what it looks like." Barkley stated.

"Yes, okay, sure," Ben nodded.

"Go to hair, makeup, and wardrobe, hurry it up." Barkley shooed Ben off.