Chapter 11 - Worst Case Scenario

Chapter 11 – Worst Case Scenario

Throughout life, there are the good times, the bad times, and the times that we just can't handle. The good times are gifts and the bad times are challenges. Then we get to the times we just can't handle. Those are the times when fear reigns strong and we have two choices, fight or flight.

***

Ben exited the elevator with Gwen and Colby close behind him. He frowned and swept a hand through his unkempt hair. He needed a haircut. His hair became the longest he ever knew it to be. Ben shrugged and turned to face his friends who trailed behind him.

"You guys think I am a wreck don't you." Ben blurted out. "You guys are judging me, with your eyes, I see them. I see your eyes."

"We aren't judging you, we are just concerned." Colby said.

"Oh god, you sound like my mother," Ben muttered.

"Oh god, you sound like Ben's mother," Gwen agreed and turned to Colby.

"Great, he is the crazy one Gwen, remember we discussed this." Colby pointed at Ben then at Gwen. "Now you guys are making it seem like I am this old maid."
"This is my mother we are talking about," Ben said and turned to keep walking.

"Okay let's move past the fact that Ben is crazy and Colby is Ben's mother. Ben, we are glad you got tested. I mean, you had unprotected sex so you might have…" Gwen followed Ben around the corner and paused staring wide eyes at the connecting hallway.

Colby turned around the corner and spotted it. A petite woman, short black hair, too much jewelry, make up, and a vast amount of purple cashmere. She stood at their apartment door with suitcases and held her rosary in prayer. In a moment, the woman turned as if sensing the presence she waited for. Her eyes widened.

"Benny," The woman cried and threw her arms into the air. "Why do you look like that? Why is your hair so long? Why are you so skinny? I am not judging I am just concerned? Oh Benny, I came to visit isn't this just a great surprise."

"Of course mom, I am so happy you came." Ben said.

"Natalie Howe, Mrs. Howe, what a pleasant surprise. You should have told me you were coming," Gwen smiled.

"Oh Gwendolyn, I didn't want to be a bother and cause fuss. Gwendolyn, come give me a hug." Natalie Howe, Ben's mother, insisted and grabbed Gwen.

"Hi Ben's mom," Colby said in a cheery tone.

"Colby," Mrs. Howe stated with a nod acknowledging Colby's presence. "Well, let's go inside I want to see where my Benny has been living. I mean the outside isn't that spectacular but I am sure…"

Colby opened the apartment door.

"…I am sure I can fix up the inside." Mrs. Howe frowned.

***

"Mom, you didn't have to sleep on the couch, Gwen could have put you up in a hotel or something." Ben stated, trying to get his mother out of his apartment. She had been there one night and already the situation went from code yellow to code orange.

"No, I came to England to be with my son, not be in some fancy smancy hotel. Your father and I are worried about you and your life."

"I call you guys once a week." Ben pointed out.

"Marty Griffon calls his parents twice and you know when Suzy Griffon comes over she always says how her son got the scholarship and is a fancy smancy business man."