Chapter 7 - Boat Metaphores

I have been told countless times that my life is a river and I a boat. Of course there are twists and turns in this river, I am bound to hit a few snags, and sometimes if I am not careful I crash into a rock and sink. Then there are all those other boat metaphors: whatever floats your boat, we are on the same boat, and I completely missed the boat. When it comes down to it, sometimes we just have to with the flow.

***

"Ben we need to talk," Colby forced as Ben rushed out from the bathroom and into his room shutting the door in her face. "Ben, we need to talk," Colby shouted from the other side. After about a minute of silence the door opened and Ben pushed by Colby towards the front door. "Ben, we need to talk," Colby repeated finally as he exited the apartment and walked down the hallway.

"He hates you," Gwen said stepping out of her room in her hotel uniform. She put on an earring and approached Colby.

"How can I apologize if he ignores me? Maybe I should just leave and go back to America, this isn't fun anymore." The straight haired brunette collapsed on the couch.

"Maybe you should just be a sad little baby because you don't get what you want. Please, right there, you looked pathetic." Gwen placed her hands on her hips. "Not at all the domineering Colby I know."
"I don't feel like Colby at all right now, I used to be happy and peppy." Colby frowned and slumped down backwards on the couch. "I should just keep myself busy, bake that pie I never got to, go to work, and find a guy." Colby moved her head slightly to stare at the still standing Gwen.

"Sounds like a plan, I need to get to work." Gwen walked to the door and placed her hand on the doorknob.

"Did you tell Howard how old you are yet?" Colby asked sitting up. She wanted to end the conversation on another topic than her.
"I'm getting there," Gwen said a spark of worry in her voice.

"Don't be frightened, he won't care." Colby stood up. She was still in her dancing sheep pajama bottoms and grey t-shirt. "He really won't."

"Yeah, sure," Gwen mumbled then left the room.

Colby stared around the empty apartment at all the furniture and boxes she unpacked over a month ago. She felt horrible for what she did to Ben, but also knew that it was a mistake. She would make Ben listen to her.

***

Ben arrived at the BBC building earlier than usual and got to work on editing footage. Peter hadn't arrived yet and he wasn't sure when the blond would show up. Ben spent the night prior trying to think of a way to apologize to his co-worker. His brain couldn't formulate an apology because it was too busy being mad at Colby. Ben sighed; his roommate ruined it for him. The man drifted off in his thoughts and felt a wave of emotion carry him out into an endless sea.

"It's not like we were dating, we weren't boyfriend and boyfriend." Ben garbled to himself.

Ben questioned this obsession with Peter, why was it there? What did it mean? Could this be love? Ben froze at the thought of love. He had gone farther with Seth than he did with Peter. "You know what, it doesn't matter. Kisses mean different things to different people. I guess when we kissed it didn't mean anything to you."Peter's voice came through clear in his memory and Ben paused. He definitely did more physical stuff with Seth, but emotionally where did they stand.

A squeak and the open of the editing room door reveled Peter, he bit his lower lip and sat down silently in the seat next to him.

Ben moved the mouse over to some footage and dragged it to the main screen. His hand stumbled from nervousness. The presence of Peter made him shake, why did he care? The footage disappeared from the screen and Ben jumped.