Chapter 2:

My alarm blinked 4:41.

It was still dark outside, and my room had grown especially cold.

"You want to wake her up now?" I heard Mom's voice from out in the hallway.

"I don't want to, Mrs. Kai." Blayke's hushed voice replied. I sat up in bed, instantly alert. What was Blayke doing here? Especially so late?

"I'm leaving soon. I just have to say goodbye," as soon as he said it, I was back under my blankets. No. No, no, no. He couldn't be leaving. Not now. This wasn't supposed to happen until-

"Ev?" Blayke sat on the edge of my bed. I pushed my door closed and threw my arms around him.

"You can't leave, Blayke." I pleaded, burying my face in his shoulder.

"I have to, Ev." he wrapped his arms around me and layed us both on the bed. I put my leg around his waist, kept my arms locked around his neck, anchored myself to him.

"Evaline," he said softly. "You knew this was coming, baby."

"But not now!" I insisted.

"Ev, please. Don't make this any harder than-"

"Don't. Don't say that. That's what they say before they leave for good. And you promised me you wouldn't leave for good, remember?" I pressed, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"I won't ever leave you for good, Ev. I love you," Blayke pulled away from me, brushed my hair away from my face, and kissed me.

I wake up with the electricity still in the air. My alarm clock blinks 8:41, and my room is dark from the black-out shades covering my windows.

"Stats," I say into the emptiness.

"Today is Sunday, September fourteenth, year 2091. It is 34 degrees outside and raining." my A.I.V. tells me. I roll over and stare at the ceiling.

First one minute passes. Then seven.

"Incoming call from; Nethanyel." I jump, startled out of my hazy, half-awakened state.

"Answer," I say. "Hello?"

"You're alive!" Nethanyel's voice fills up my entire bedroom. I smile slightly.

"Yeah, I am. I suppose Nikiah called you?" Nikiah was the supervisor at the Society.

"He had to. It would've been impossible for you to stop by and see me," Nethanyel says pointedly. I roll my eyes, stumbling towards the bathroom.

"I lost a Hound and the Haze was kicking my ass," I call, splashing water on my face.

"The Haze was kicking my ass!" Nethanyel mocks in a whiny, high-pitched tone.

"I don't know why you think I won't kick your ass," I say around my toothbrush. Nethanyel laughs.

"Come by today. Once you make yourself decent," he teases. I spit and rinse my mouth straight from the faucet.

"Alright. See you,"

"Bye, Ev." he hangs up. I clutch the edge of the counter. I'm sure he didn't mean to call me Ev, but he did. And today, of all days, is not a good day to call me Ev.

I pull my plain white tank-top over my head and, so Nethanyel doesn't have a fit, I pull a black sweater on over that. I throw on some jeans and my ratty old sneakers, and I'm out the door. Dannie, the other penthouse girl, is on her way in. I give her a nod in greeting, but that almost never cuts it with Dannie.