Chapt. 1

3 months later...

"Did you pack everything you needed?"

Karlie turns her head from the beautiful red rock views against the blue skies to turn to the voice coming from beside her. She smiles and takes the hot tea being offered to her before the other woman takes a seat across from her.

"Thank you." Karlie says with a pleasant smile as she sips the tea and turns her attention back to the view. "I packed everything, I'm all set to go. I guess I'm just nervous." She says in a soft tone, green eyes still glued to the open views.

She hears the woman clear her throat. Her name is Joan, and she and Karlie have grown close the past three months. Joan has been Karlie's sober support, she was the first person to greet her at the door three months back and she's been here for her ever since.

You could easily say the two girls have grown a nice friendship between them. Joan has been all informed about not only Karlie's life in general but she knows all about Taylor and Karlie's life back home.

"Listen, I know you've been afraid but we've talked about this. You're different Karlie. This isn't you're third or forth rehab stunt, it's your first. You came in here immediately ready to be sober and living a better life. I've seen tremendous breakthroughs with you and strives towards your health, you need to trust me. You wouldn't be going home if you weren't ready." Joan says supportively as Karlie has turned her full attention back to her.

"So you're saying you think I'm ready?" Karlie asks skeptically, mindlessly playing with her hands.

Joan nods, "I think you're going to be absolutely fine, Karlie."

The brunette nods and smiles a bit. She's so thankful for the support she's had at the facility and is thankful also for the many people and life changing stories she's experienced here. Her biggest accomplishment to herself has been just that she's allowed herself to open up and admit she needed this help.

Leaving wasn't easy, but it's been the best decision she's ever made in life so far.

Putting myself first, she thinks as she watches Joan stand and leave, only to bring back a file of paperwork.

The tall, sweet woman who Karlie swears could be a model, comes and squats down in front of Karlie. She gives her a genuine smile and hands her the folder.

"This is your discharge paperwork. You did it Karlie. And I have full faith that you'll keep doing it. You learned a lot about yourself and where your problems exist. You fought to defeat your demons and I know you'll be living a healthier life from these days on. I'm proud of you, Kloss." Joan says, handing her the paperwork and then standing to her full height again.

Karlie sets aside the papers onto the outdoor cushion and stands quickly. She gives Joan a long, meaningful hug. Without her support Karlie would've felt so lost and alone on this part of her life journey. Although Karlie did the work, Joan was the key asset that saved her from quitting. She feels like she can't thank her enough.

"Thank you, for sticking with me and making me see that I could really get better. I can't wait to email you updates every once and a while to let you know how things are going." Karlie says as she hugs Joan tightly against her.

Joan sighs and pats Karlie's back lightly, "I'm already waiting for the first one. I can't wait for you to return to your life and start over. You'll do great things."