Chapt. 17

Andrea Swift stands at the kitchen counter her hands holding her in place as she stares out the kitchen window. Scott Swift walks through the back door, just getting done from picking up extra groceries.

He walks over softly and puts his hand on his wife's shoulder. He keeps it there for a moment before moving over to the left, grabbing mugs from the cupboard and pouring them coffee.

"Kids still sleeping?" He asks lightly and brings the mugs over to where his wife is sitting at the table, Andrea nods and he sits to join her.

"What kind of parents are we Scott?" Andrea asks exhaustedly. Her head falls into her hands and she practically begins to sob.

Scott scoots over and holds her hand. "We aren't bad parents Andrea, we love those kids more than life. You and I both know we would do anything for Austin and Taylor. But we had no idea. Taylor never told us and we just assumed she was busy with her demanding job. But you know what? She's okay Andrea, she's alive. And we can be here now." Scott reassures her and finally Andrea is calm and able to look up.

"In my mind I mean I knew, we all knew. But I can't believe I let something like this go unsaid for so long. I just want her to be okay." Andrea sighs heavily into her hands.

"I am okay." Taylor's voice suddenly rings out through the kitchen. The Swift's become completely startled, not even expecting their daughter to be awake. Let alone walking into their conversation about her in the kitchen.

Taylor moves easily around her childhood home, pouring and preparing her own hot mug of coffee before sitting beside her mother. She sips the coffee and then settles her head lovingly against her mothers arm.

"Seriously guys, you actually know everything now. Don't make me some weird experiment or talk of the house, I just want everything to be normal. I'm starting therapy next week, I'm on medication, I'm okay." Taylor concludes dryly as she begins to scroll mindlessly through her phone. She stops uneasily when she checks her emails, she stands from the table and quickly retrieves her glasses, then rejoining her parents.

"Honey? What's wrong?" Andrea asks as she lightly touches Taylor's forearm.

Her daughter ignores her as she very intently reads her phone screen. Andrea can't tell what she's reading but it looks long and important. After three or so minutes Taylor glances up, as if she had left reality for some other world or something. Only to come back totally confused.

"Okay so, after Dianna and I ended she said she needed time off and I gave it to her. So instead of texting or calling, she just emailed me that she will be gone for an entire week. And then not only that, but you know how we have higher supervisors that defense teams work for?" Taylor asks and explains quickly. Her parents intently listen and nod, signaling for her to continue. "There's this guy- Mr. Johnson- who practically runs defense firms in a few states, including New York. I'm technically under some sort of his supervision, mostly because I'm a young defense lawyer but I've never lost a case, they look at that stuff. I'm pretty sure I've only met him like once a few years ago but Dianna just said he wants to meet with me..." Taylor finally trails off.

"Is that good?" Scott asks a bit unsure of what's actually going on.

"I hope so. Im multi licensed to perform in most states, not just ours. So I don't see a bad reason of why he'd want to meet? I mean he's really powerful, he makes a lot of decisions in law for the people. I guess I'm just taken back. I can't believe I'm having a meeting with him. I'm seriously kind of nervous." Taylor confesses as she lightly holds her stomach. She literally feels her anxiety kicking into full gear, was this seriously happening?

Andrea runs a hand up and down her young daughters back for encouragement. Showing Taylor that they were proud and that she could do this. Without really needing any words at all.