Chapt. 31

Karlie finishes straightening her hair and takes a long, hard look into her bathroom mirror.

Within the past four days, she's lost maybe 10 pounds. It made the already skinny girl look almost unreal. Her face is more hollow than before, but the color as come back to her skin and she isn't as shaky as she has been.

She pulls at the vintage tee shirt she's wearing, trying to adjust it so that maybe she won't look so tiny. But it doesn't work. So she gives up, she slides on her belt and buckles it before cleaning up her morning routine and heading out into the kitchen.

Upon entering, Karlie is greeted with the warm sensation of "home." Ever since Taylor has been staying here with her, she's made the apartment feel less empty and more together. Karlie leans against a wall and watches with a smile as Taylor busies herself in the kitchen. She isn't making breakfast, because the girls actually have plans. But she's making coffee and getting a small bowl of mixed fruit ready for Karlie, and that's just enough.

Taylor must've felt the sensation of being watched, because she turns around quickly and meets Karlie's eyes directly. The older girl scans her over, making Karlie feel shy, and gives her a smile. "Come sit," she says as she pats a seat at Karlie's kitchen island. "You're looking good."

Karlie gives a skeptical look. "I don't think you're being serious. I've lost like 10 pounds, and I'm already thin." She states as she sips the coffee Taylor has made and takes the bowl of fruit Taylor is handing her.

"Regardless of you dropping some weight, you look so much better than what I've seen lately." Taylor comments in a small voice as she joins Karlie at the kitchen island.

Normally the brunette would protest until she won but she knew this topic wasn't up for an argument. She's beyond thankful for the help she's received from Taylor these last few days. Karlie can honestly say that Taylor's been the only one to see her at her worst. And although the lawyer didn't deserve to go through any of that, Karlie is thankful for her.

She's thankful Taylor's face seems to be healing quickly, despite the makeup she's been wearing to hide it.

"Are you sure you want to do this today?" Karlie asks tentatively as she watches Taylor sip her coffee and read the paper.

Taylor peers up over the paper, her blue eyes peering at Karlie through her glasses. She looks at her for a moment before returning to the article she was reading. "I think the question is, are you sure you want to do this today?" She asks.

Karlie ponders the situation for a moment. She hasn't really been sure yet but she thinks getting out today could be really good for her. And for Taylor's sanity.

"Yeah, I miss Kendall. And I was going to have to meet Gigi eventually." She sighs and notices Taylor nodding firmly in agreement. "You could use some getting out again too." She adds before standing and heading over to the sink.

"You don't have to worry about me Karlie." Taylor responds neutrally.

"I always worry about you, Taylor." Karlie mumbles over the sound of her washing the dishes.

Taylor's thankful that Karlie can't see how badly her face flushes. Which continuously makes her happy that the brunette still holds that affect over her. "I'm going to get changed, then we have to go or we'll be late." She says smoothly as she folds the paper and heads into Karlie's bedroom.

Taylor slips on some light blue ripped jeans and just a regular pair of flats. She finds a long sleeve, plain black shirt and decides to just wear that. But she heads to the door and calls out to Karlie.

"Kar?"

"What's up?"

"Is it going to be cold today?" Taylor asks, biting her bottom lip as she gazes around the living room.