“Two espresso’s please.” Coral said.

“Sure honey, it’ll be about five to ten minutes.” She took down the order and made her way to the kitchen.

 “I think she likes you.” Trixie said stifling a smile.

“Oh shut up you! Go back to sleep.”

The espresso came. It was as wonderful as ever.

                                                         *          *          * 

They got on the next bus home. Trixie rested her head on Coral’s shoulder. Coral looked out the window taking in the city.

She didn’t know why but she kept thinking about her encounter with the officer. From the moment she had arrived in Eden, everything had been so perfect. The city was beautiful, the air was clean and most notably, the people were friendly. Friendly and open minded. 

They flew past the gardens, which lay at the heart of the city. Her favourite place in the world. Parkland surrounded Eden but she held a certain fondness for this one; an untouched expanse of green grass and woodland. At the heart of it towered a magnificent Oak tree and beside it lay Hale River which flowed throughout Eden.

The bus glided along quietly.

A well-groomed, respectable man sat a few seats back with his wife, observing the couple. He muttered something which caught Trixie’s attention. She saw his face and knew the expression only too well.

“And here I was thinking that the phobes had died out.”

Coral looked around. “What?”

“Nothing, let’s just get off here.” She touched the bell.

“But we’re still four or five stops from the apartment.”

Trixie got up and offered Coral her hand. “I feel like a walk.”

They made their way to the exit, passing the married couple who looked at them with disgust, whispering childishly to each other. Trixie swiped her card. The old man muttered something under his breath.

“Sorry, didn’t catch that?” she said. The old man was silent. Trixie made to get off the bus.

“Yeah go back to the streets were you belong faggot.”

Trixie turned around, her face burning. “What the fuck did you say?”

“Trixie!” Coral grabbed her arm and yanked her off the bus. “What’s the matter with you?”

The old man sneered, baring his disgusting brown teeth. The bus flew off.

“What the hell was that?” Coral demanded.

Trixie’s head flew back, “I was fighting for our fucking rights!”

Coral shrunk back a bit. “All I saw was you fighting.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes. That man was sitting there with his wife and all of a sudden you’re up in his face shouting at him.”

A small group of people walked past. It was obvious that they had overheard the argument;the whole street had.

“Stop staring!” Trixie barked. “What, you’ve never seen an argument before?”

The people scuttled off.

“My god Trix…”

“What? They were staring, and so was that prick on the bus.”