Stranded - Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I jumped and Lauren let out a scream. Faye took a step back, nearly tripping over a chair. A hole was now in the door, and a grey bruised arm was trying to get though.

"Lauren what the hell!" Faye said, "we need to go!"

"No I can't leave them!" Lauren cried.

"What are you talking about?" Faye asked, confused. I knew exactly what was going on.

"Faye, the zombies in there are her dead friends," I said quietly. Lauren looked to the floor, "they were obviously killed and then came back as them," there was a pause.

Faye looked sadly at Lauren like she felt bad for her. "Oh Lauren..." She began, "I'm so sorry about your friends, but-" she looked up at her, "But we need to leave. Otherwise we're gonna get killed by them too,"

Faye lead Lauren out of the classroom. I followed and looked over my shoulder one more time at the door. They had nearly broken it down; I dreaded to think how many of them there were.

We hurried down the stairs and tried to quietly swing the door open. We saw a group of zombies heading to our old base, off balance and swinging their arms. They didn't have a clue what they were doing, but if they saw us, they'd automatically think "food".

The infirmary where everyone else was at, was in the opposite direction and we would hopefully make it there without any problems if we ran. "Ready?" Faye asked. We nodded, but I felt nervous. She took one final look and then ran. Lauren and I followed her as she lead the way. It was so hard to run quietly; our school shoes were stomping against the concrete floor.

We had nearly made it around the choir room, when I made the mistake of looking back. The zombies had seen us, or smelled us, and were after us. Their run wasn't even half as fast as ours, but their growls could be heard a mile away. "Keep running, they're coming!" I screeched at Faye and Lauren who were slowing down. With all our strength we hurried faster and faster until we had made it to the gate stopping us from entering the Courtyard.

"Damn it, what's the code for the lock?" Faye asked, very worriedly. I looked over my shoulder and saw the zombies were catching up. There were at least 10 of them.

"Uhhh..." I tried to think, "9... 8..."

"73!" Lauren finished. Faye quickly tapped the numbers in and then we helped her swing the heavy black door open. We then slammed it shut, locking ourselves into the courtyard.

Out of breath, we paused a moment. Lauren was bright red and Faye was bending over. I stood leaning against the gate, my back to it. I closed my eyes thankful for making it here safe.

"Bella watch out!" Faye shouted running towards me. I suddenly felt something grab my arm and dig its nails in. The pain shot through my neck and collarbone and made me scream in agony and fear.